1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Virgin Mobile's Track Record with the BBB

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by greg4android, Mar 25, 2011.

1. greg4android

greg4android Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    Not sure how they got an A- rating . . .

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.
    BBB processed a total of 3033 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 3033 complaints closed in 36 months, 1205 were closed in the last year.
    Business Contact and Profile

Name:Virgin MobilePhone:(866) 794-8049Address:10 Independence Blvd
    Warren, NJ 07059-0705Website:www.virginmobileusa.comOriginal Business Start Date:January 2002Local Start Date:July 2002Principal:Rika Williams, Customer ServiceCustomer Contact:Rika Williams, Customer Service - (866) 794-8049Type of Business:Cellular Telephone Service & Supplies

These complaints concerned :
    + 97regarding Issue Not Defined + 21regarding Advertising Issues 2- Advertised price not honored1- Advertised terms not honored1- Advertisement did not disclose all conditions required to take advantage of an offer2- Advertisement misrepresented a service15- None of the Above - Advertising Complaint Issue

+ 1081regarding Billing or Collection Issues 30- Failure to correct billing errors962- None of the Above - Credit, Billing or Collection Complaint Issue12- Unauthorized bank debits4- Unauthorized credit card charges

+ 67regarding Contract Issues 7- Failure to honor a contract or agreement2- Invalid or false contract56- None of the Above - Contract Complaint Issue2- Unauthorized changes to the contract or agreement

+ 40regarding Customer Service Issues 3- Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services4- Failure to respond to phone calls or written requests for assistance or support3- Inappropriate behavior by customer service personnel30- None of the Above - Customer Service Complaint Issue

+ 31regarding Delivery Issues 2- Late delivery of products13- Non-delivery of products16- None of the Above - Delivery Complaint Issue

+ 8regarding Guarantee or Warranty Issues 2- Failure to honor service under the terms of warranties6- None of the Above - Guarantee or Warranty Complaint Issue+ 219regarding Product Issues 40- Defective, damaged, or incorrect product received179- None of the Above - Product Quality Complaint Issue

+ 885regarding Refund or Exchange Issues 28- Failure to honor promised refunds, exchanges, or credit42- Failure to honor refund, exchange or credit policies815- None of the Above - Refund or Exchange Complaint Issue

+ 12regarding Repair Issues 2- Delayed completion of repair1- Improper or inferior repair9- None of the Above - Repair Complaint Issue

+ 29regarding Sales Practice Issues 21- None of the Above - Sales Complaint Issue1- Sales presentation did not disclose key conditions of the offer3- Sales presentation misrepresented the product4- Sales presentation misrepresented the service

+ 543regarding Service Issues 7- Delayed completion of service1- Failure to honor service estimate or agreement137- Improper or inferior service395- None of the Above - Service Complaint Issue1- Services resulted in additional damage (exp. Damaged product during shipping)2- Unauthorized service These complaints were closed as:

+ 2776Resolved 793 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to BBB.1683 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to BBB.284 - Company resolved the complaint issues, but not within BBB's timeframe.7 - Company resolved the complaint issues, but not within BBB's timeframe. The Complainant acknowledged acceptance to BBB.1 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer accepted.4 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to BBB.1 - Company resolved the complaint issues, but not within BBB's timeframe. The Complainant did not acknowledge acceptance to BBB.2 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer accepted, but failed to follow through in a timely manner.1 - Complaint was resolved through BBB mediation, but the company delayed meeting the terms of the settlement agreement.

+ 255Administratively Closed 239 - BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.14 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.1 - BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.1 - Company agreed to mediation in accordance with their BBB agreement, but the consumer declined.

+ 1Unpursuable 1 - Company has filed bankruptcy.

+ 1Unresolved 1 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.

Advertisement

2. Scyy

Scyy Member
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    VM is a large sub devision of sprint, having only 3033 complaints over the last 36 months is fairly good. Yes they have had data issues the last few weeks but they seem to have blown over.(knocks on wood.)

3. chrissurra

chrissurra Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    How many separate threads need to be made about this? If you dont like the phone/service/company then return it.

I have had no issues with the phone/data/customer service in the 2 months that I have owned the phone.

4. greg4android

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    Everyone's experiences differ, but thanks for voicing your opinion!

If we all have had NO ISSUES with the phone like YOU, then this forum would be empty. BUT everyone's not had as good luck as you.

5. chrissurra

chrissurra Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Nothing to do with luck, I read about the phone and its short comings BEFORE I bought it so I had no surprises.

I also read all the documentation PRIOR to rooting so I didnt brick my phone.

I also tweaked the ROM and deleted bloatware so it runs quickly, the data was an issue but due to an app that shut it off to save battery.

Its fine to complain but everyone thinks their issues are more important than everyone else so there are 50 threads about the same subject.

Yes Virgin mobile is having problems in certain areas with data due to the huge amount of new activations, the same thing happened with the iPhone and ATT except I was paying 3x as much to ATT.

6. greg4android

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    Stop exaggerating about multiple threads. If you don't want to read the comments in multiple threads, skip over them! I find all the posts on here interesting and informational.
    This is an open forum, and everyone has the right to share their experiences (just like you have the right to complain about 50 multiple threads that don't exist).

PS. not everyone has the technical ability to root and tweak, so again, there are a different set of experiences.

7. loumalnati

loumalnati Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Returning the phone is the easy solution to the problem (at least in my opinion). On principal I have stuck with my phone and pursued a complaint with the BBbureau as vm needs to realize that they need to deliver the service promised. Its a good check and balance system. Sure the issue may be resolved shortly, but vm made a mistake when they knowingly sold these phones and did not disclose the issue. The responsibility of disclosure is on the business.

I did what I thought was a pretty thorough review of the phone prior to purchase and was wowed enough to terminate my Verizon contract for 250 USD. Unless you googled LG Olympus 3G drops it would have been difficult to know about the issue. Thus, when I bought the phone 2 weeks ago I was extremely disappointed to find out later there was a 3G issue. Had VM informed me of the issue 2 weeks ago it would have been easier for me to have forgive and forgot. According to my vm tech this issue was known at the time of my purchase.

I believe VM will make things correct for me and thus I am sticking with them to give them a chance to respond and hopefully resolve the issue. However, I do believe they initially mishandled the situation and I am obligated to respectfully and fairly notify them of my dissatisfaction. I am hopeful that in a short time period I will be spending more time gathering tech tips from this site then trying to resolve 3G issues.

8. chrissurra

chrissurra Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    There are 6 threads on the main page about 3g drops with the same solutions in each one. You made 2 of them.

I agree that VM needs to fix the issue but rather then complain I would call customer service, enter a service ticket about my issue and then read other threads pertaining to my same issue. I try to help people with issues if they arent savvy however 6 threads with people complaining about the same issue doesnt help anyone.

9. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member
    None

Given that VM had 5 million subscribers in Feb of 2008 (Virgin Mobile Passes 5 Million Subscribers in the USA) and probably a million more since then, 3000+ complaints most of which were resolved is pretty damn good. I've been very vocal about my displeasure with VM over the past 3 months but will give them their due when it's deserved. Can they do better? Sure. They need to do better, because low cost or not, they will lose subscribers the way they're going.

10. kc3

kc3 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    US
    Ugh, I HATE people relying on the BBB, one thing I've learned about the BBB is that it pretty much means squat. Nomatter what company you run if you RESPOND to complaints that you at least made some sort of attempt to resolve it and you'll probably get an A with the BBB, hell my last company had the worst customer service of any company I had ever seen and they had an A. The only way to get a bad score from the BBB I've seen is to simply ignore complaints.

11. tod VM670

tod VM670 Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Very well said but think about its all about the Coverage area its a battel with ATT and Sprint, Why you think T-mobile is owned by Att caue T-mobile is mainly a German Network so Att wants the world so Sprint want to follow..besides rooting and unlocking isnt going to improve nothing until they get towers and data streaming to flow in matter of time 3g be gone the 4g then 5g be the same until those towers be able to handle all of Smart phone users.

12. Nor*Cal X4

Nor*Cal X4 Newbie
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    CNC Machinist
    L.B. X4
    return your phone already!

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member
    None

And unless a business is actually registered with the BBB there's nothing they can do to the company. VM isn't a member of the BBB so all they can do is just report the results of the complaints.

My point in filing a complaint with the BBB wasn't to be a whiny douche but to register a legitimate complaint. I'm 45 years old and this is the first time I ever filed a complaint. When I feel I'm not being helped through the usual channels, I felt left with no other choice. In my case it worked.

I don't understand why people feel it okay to give a company-any company-a pass simply because of the price, that's simply foolish and being a bad consumer. If everyone did that, there would be no incentive to do better.

loumalnati likes this.
  14. loumalnati

loumalnati Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Agreed. Part of the issue is the majority of people do not register complaints when they are not serviced in the manner there contract provides...Due to this laziness, ambivalence, or lack of time, then it becomes difficult to gauge the service worthiness of a company. The fact a company has a growing subscriber base is not Necessary an indicator that there servicing levels are optimal. It could be an indication that vm has found a decent business model, quasi.serviceable data and phone levels with cheap monthly plans.

It is also important to note that a good consumer also takes the time to provide feedback when service levels have been exceeded. I have by far provided more positive feedback than negative during my consumer life. It is my first BBbureau complaint as vm actions were egregious given the facts and needed to be reported. If it is not resolved in a satisfactory manner then I will go to the states attorney s office.

Change can not occur in a static environment.

15. kc3

kc3 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    US
    Well I would definitely agree with that statement, however it's the customer's choice if they want to stay with them or not. I'm in sales and with the drop in business I figured the extra $40 a month for a phone very similar to what I had would be worth putting up with it's problems. Is it wrong for Virgin Mobile to advertise a service they have a very hard time keeping? Well, I'd say yes but it's up to us to decide if it's worth keeping. I usually don't have that many problems, I had T-Mobile before and wow Virgin Mobile's customer service I will agree to being mediocre at best. Hell I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if the service was better, $25 a month is simply all the service is worth to me. It's not so much a pass, but I guess I hope it gets better overtime.

And as far as the BBB goes, it's fine by me to submit complaints, sometimes that's the only way to get your complaint to the company taken seriously however I was commenting on people's amazement about their score which simply means nothing.

lol maybe Virgin Mobile USA is an elaborate scheme to get people to switch to VM and get them so pissed off they switch to Sprint after that :p

16. AQAA

AQAA Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    "lol maybe Virgin Mobile USA is an elaborate scheme to get people to switch to VM and get them so pissed off they switch to Sprint after that :p"

Could be, I hope NOT:)
    However it could be a test by Sprint to see if the added subscriber base offsets the $25 per month service.
    To that extend it will be a very interesting test and if it is successful, look out.
    I have often posted about the insane prices for mobile data plans in the US.
    If you check the US prices against the rest of the world we are by far the most expensive and our speed is lacking behind, just as our wired broadband service.
    This could be a wake up call for Vz and At&t time will tell.
    This is my 1st mobile data plan although I could have taken any plan without economic worries.
    By principal I have refused the service until this plan came along, and if Sprint for some reason think they can use this as a hook in, I am out of here in a split second and the phones sold as is.

17. nightspd

nightspd Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I've called their customer service (Based in the Philippines according to several reps I've asked) and they have been top-notch and very helpful each and every time I've called them. I give them a 4.5/5 on customer service for sure. (1/2 off is just because no one ever gets a 5 from me) lol

Tags: