• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Virgin OV 2.2.2 WiFi hotspot tethering

350X

Android Expert
Jan 3, 2012
NWOhio
www1.virginmobileusa.com
Virgin OV 2.2.2 WiFi hotspot tethering No Root Needed

OK its been many days of playing, even installing XP on an old laptop as XP is all wireless ready. [PC is windows 2000 pro] yea yea yea but I like it.

Anyways, after lots of programs. I ended up with PDAnet and was able to get USB tethering to work.

tried to activate hotspot a few time with PDAnet with no luck.

then about the 5th try PDAnet said I needed to goto the market and get FoxFi to be able to tether, so I downloaded it and walla I have WiFi hotspot working on the XP laptop, then it took about 5 mins to get it working on the Win2kpro PC. Which I am using right now. [web pages never loaded so fast]

Now I am enjoying this to much to go back and start all over.

but I wonder if you even need PDAnet as all it does it auto launch FoxFi for you, which would make PDAnet not neeed unless you wanted to USB or BlueTooth tether.

[I am well aware on the TOS rules to tethering but I will not be doing anything different then I do on my OV now, I can just have a bigger screen, keyboard and mouse to use. As we only got dial up out here, so I heavily use the OV for everything by default.]

Not sure how much it matters but Im using the Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 USB adapter, the software it comes with is nice and was very helpful. Dunno if I would of had as much luck with a cheap china knock off with no software. Unless I was using a newer OS thats more WiFi ready.

I just ordered a 2nd one.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 Wireless-N 4.0 Dongle (1T1R) IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 150Mbps Data Rates WPA/WPA2 (AES, 64,128-WEP with shared-key authentication) WPS PIN, PBC (Hardware WPS Button) QoS-WMM

[same item, same seller, different ways to buy]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300630483737

Upvote 0
Reactions: Petrah
Upvote 0
Got my 2nd Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 in the mail today, only for a test I tried it on the laptop in the kitchen, through 4 walls and a closet of junk, I still got 57% link quality, 100% signal strength according to the Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 software. So glad FoxFi has a password option, the OV broadcast far
eek.gif

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/490497-virgin-ov-2-2-2-wifi-hotspot-tethering.html#post3865596

Upvote 0
Just one quick question. There were numerous posts in the past regarding Optimus V tethering. Based on the newly discovered common sense, could these posts also be reopened? And if so, what would be the proper procedure for getting those posts unlocked?

Thanks in advance.

KN.

Hello KryptoNyte. As 350X mentions, you can hit the report button on any thread you find, and request in that report to have it re-opened. But as I look around, after seeing your question, I see that the locked threads really don't have much info in them, as they were caught by Staff in the middle of conversations mostly prior to anything of value being offered.

It's fine to just go ahead and begin a thread about tethering, as long as you don't do so with a stated desire to advocate breaking the Terms of Service for your carrier or Android Forums policy. As you know by the recent announcement, Staff is no longer running around closing threads on the tethering subject:

http://androidforums.com/site-updat...-approach-some-other-content.html#post3864270

..but please read it carefully because there is a caution about the differences between what's "anti-ToS" and "illegal." ;)

But, yes, it's ok to talk about tethering now, Phases the Admin has just made it clear for us that policing the forums for any tethering/hotspot talk is not necessary.

Start a thread, have fun. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones