• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm having a permission problem.
I'm using
Code:
perm(0, 0, 0755, "/system/bin/filename")
But it does not set as execute. could you tell me the proper permission? my Google-fu returned vague results, and looking at permissions for some of the roms didn't help, almost all were different...

are you trying to use edify script? (i.e. updater-script)

I dunno if you can make this CWM flashable

try chmod
Code:
 chmod 755 /system/bin/filename

Upvote 0
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/208-swap-enabledisable/

These are the scripts we were attempting to use for MIUI. I tried flashing all of them in CWM.

Always got the same result but with a lot of text cut off

Must use edify for script to work basically
Installation aborted

Lordvincent did make a flashable zip but we weren't sure about the swapfile. Been following your thread closely as well

Good stuff!

Upvote 0
Swap Enable/Disable - Hacks & Mods - CyanogenMod Forum

These are the scripts we were attempting to use for MIUI. I tried flashing all of them in CWM.

Always got the same result but with a lot of text cut off

Must use edify for script to work basically
Installation aborted

Lordvincent did make a flashable zip but we weren't sure about the swapfile. Been following your thread closely as well

Good stuff!

well, 755 is definitely the right permission. If it's not setting, it's one of 2 possible reasons.
1) /system is not mounted as R/W
2) /system/bin does not allow writing for the recovery 'user' (though it should be root)

make sure /system is mounted and writable. and check the permissions on /system/bin, make sure they are at least 666

Upvote 0
well, 755 is definitely the right permission. If it's not setting, it's one of 2 possible reasons.
1) /system is not mounted as R/W

---If it were not mounted rw, wouldn't the files fail to copy?---

2) /system/bin does not allow writing for the recovery 'user' (though it should be root)

---Any way to check this?---

make sure /system is mounted and writable. and check the permissions on /system/bin, make sure they are at least 666

Edit- to clarify, the files are present and flashed fine, just not set as executable...

Upvote 0
If it were not mounted rw, wouldn't the files fail to copy?
correct. so if the same cwm script is successfully making the file, you should be able to set permissions as well.
Any way to check this?
do an ls -l in /system and see what permissions are set for /system/bin

You know what,
try
Code:
set_perm(0, 0, 0755, /system/bin/filename)

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
One last question for you... What am i "allowed" to mount stl13 as? i tried something last night (/data-ext) i know i was reaching... Lol just was getting tired and sick of reading lol. Will it work if i mount it as "/system/swap" as in your instructions to slayer?

Also, i was reading up on mknod, but not sure the proper usage, or if i even need it
(one of the scripts used it when mounting sdext(s) )

Upvote 0
One last question for you... What am i "allowed" to mount stl13 as? i tried something last night (/data-ext) i know i was reaching... Lol just was getting tired and sick of reading lol. Will it work if i mount it as "/system/swap" as in your instructions to slayer?

Also, i was reading up on mknod, but not sure the proper usage, or if i even need it
(one of the scripts used it when mounting sdext(s) )

you can mount any supported filesystem (device or image file) as any directory, preferably empty.

that's why my instructions for slayer create an empty folder in system to mount /dev/stl13 at. it's also a place that exists in the internal memory that uses the same driver as stl13. He could have made a directory on /sdcard, but i'm not sure how linux reacts to having to use the sdcard driver and the vfat driver to link to a subfolder that will then use the FSR driver to operate in an EXT filesystem. See, my brain hurts just typing that out.

plus /system is always there, it's pretty reliable.

mknod is pretty funny. I only use it when I need to access a device that either doesn't already have a node defined, or I need to access it in another mode. (note the internal memory, stl12, 13 and 14, all use the FSR driver, which doesn't support character mode, and is closed source, which is why I've had no luck with all my yaffs/jffs experiments)

Upvote 0
It was also put together for my setup with my 16 GB SD Card, so unless you have that size card and his 2.5 kernel installed I would advise not to use that info so nothing detrimental happens to your phone...

Just making you aware of my setup that it was made for bro...

wow! Glad you said something, kouma's response was sooooo confusing... :rolleyes::banghead:

Upvote 0
I had been using an app called "SwapIt Expander" (available off of Google Play Store). It wouldn't work when I installed KK2.4, but with 2.5 works fine. It isn't a free app, but it is easy to setup and use for those who are feeling lazy (me lol). you can set swap size and swappines and it does allow you to pick where to put the swap file, though it wouldn't let me put it on /data (haven't tried to figure it out). I do take a slight hit on benchmark test, but overall use I get an improvement. I know it is harder on your SD card but i have the swappiness set to 0 so i don't hit it that often. :D

Upvote 0
I had been using an app called "SwapIt Expander" (available off of Google Play Store). It wouldn't work when I installed KK2.4, but with 2.5 works fine. It isn't a free app, but it is easy to setup and use for those who are feeling lazy (me lol). you can set swap size and swappines and it does allow you to pick where to put the swap file, though it wouldn't let me put it on /data (haven't tried to figure it out). I do take a slight hit on benchmark test, but overall use I get an improvement. I know it is harder on your SD card but i have the swappiness set to 0 so i don't hit it that often. :D

I have been expirementing with swap space for my kernel as well, but I have been using "Swapper2 for Root Users" free from the market. It gives you the ability to set swappiness as well as the option to use a swapfile or swap partition.

Both sound pretty good. Takes some pressure off of me while I play with adding the same kinds of stuff to my APK

Upvote 0
unless I'm misunderstanding what your trying to do. that should add execute permissions to a script.

Still learning all the acceptable syntax.
if kouma's suggestion doesn't work i will try that, I'm working on it now.
Can i use mkdir in edify? Or what is the proper way?

Upvote 0

no but if you want a new folder in /system you can just

package_extract_dir("system", "/system")

and all subfolders present in your zip installer will be written/created.

a good resource

Upvote 0

There isn't a direct make directory command in Edify that I am aware of.
you might be able to use run_program(mkdir, <directory path>)
I've never tried that though.

What I've typically seen is the directory path structure built in the zip file and the package_extract_dir() command used

Upvote 0
no but if you want a new folder in /system you can just

package_extract_dir("system", "/system")

and all subfolders present in your zip installer will be written/created.

a good resource

Ok thanks (derp) i should have thought of that... :) makes perfect sense

And that is a GREAT resource. Tyvm

Upvote 0
I got ssm with dalvik and made 48mb /data/swap/swapfile.swp .not on extension tho just threw swap file in there and it was sitting on stl13 with rest of data minus app and dalvik. haven't tested results tho but this right idea? internal space not problem still got room. why does Dalvik Swype to Facebook if I don't correct. and auto to salvia when typed. anyways.....

if I move /data/app back to internal and /data/dalvik to mmcblk0p2 and make swap partition mmcblk0p3 will I see better performance maybe? and wipe dalvik in cwm by format sd-extra. class 4 2gb. just moving dalvik cache give me enough app space and extra apps I don't use alot I just reinstall from .apks on sdcard. and I still Swyped Facebook every time like I couldn't learn word

Upvote 0
I got ssm with dalvik and made 48mb /data/swap/swapfile.swp .not on extension tho just threw swap file in there and it was sitting on stl13 with rest of data minus app and dalvik. haven't tested results tho but this right idea? internal space not problem still got room. why does Dalvik Swype to Facebook if I don't correct. and auto to salvia when typed. anyways.....

if I move /data/app back to internal and /data/dalvik to mmcblk0p2 and make swap partition mmcblk0p3 will I see better performance maybe? and wipe dalvik in cwm by format sd-extra. class 4 2gb. just moving dalvik cache give me enough app space and extra apps I don't use alot I just reinstall from .apks on sdcard. and I still Swyped Facebook every time like I couldn't learn word

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Reactions: 525Local
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones