• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virtual Private Network on Desire

lenardzelig

Lurker
Aug 22, 2010
Hi all,

I've a question about VPN's on the HTC Desire. After much trial and error I have finally been able to get my Desire connected to the VPN hosted on my laptop. However I'm at a loss now as to how I go about interfacing with the laptop. I can't seem to find any way of seeing what's there. Any ideas?

Cheers guys,
LZ

Install astro file explorer and the astro smb module. Then add the laptop as a server under networks

Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested and it worked great, up to a point. Unfortunately it won't let me play any video or mp3 files I'm viewing remotely, nor can I save/move them to my android? Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of the software?

Edit: Yes, I'm doing something wrong :) Ignore the above, I found out how to do it :)

Upvote 0
Actually can you let me know what settings you used to do this please?

I used this page (PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall) to set up my laptop with a static IP address and then in ES File Explorer went Menu>New>Server then put that IP address in the 'server' box.

Hope this is helpful!

---

Desirable9: I'm sorry, but it's been too long, I can't remember what I was doing wrong. However with regards connection issues, since I finally got it up and running it's been connecting fine with no problems.

---

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot, copy me at your own risk :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones