1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Virtual reality - control FPS game with phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by janetla, Sep 23, 2011.

1. janetla

janetla Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    I made a small app that connects to my computer (that was running netcat and listening on a port) and sends over the azimuth (compass) value and also the pitch (y-axis) of the phone. So I point the phone up and around, the sensor values in the phone change, and get sent to + printed on my computer.

I'm thinking that these two values could be used to control the view of a character in a FPS game. You stand up in front of your computer with your phone and look up and down and around in 360 degrees, as if the phone is a gun, and the character in the game looks around too.

Obviously you can't look at the monitor if you're turned away from it, but you could use Vuzix iWear glasses or some kind of head-mounted display to view the game instead of a monitor.

As for shooting in-game, my idea is that you take apart a mouse and put the mouse buttons buttons in a glove, and you put the phone inside the glove too. So your hand is a pointer and a shooter. As for other controls that you would use a keyboard for, I'm not sure yet. And as for running/crouching/jumping/walking/strafing.. That could be done cheaply with Webcam tracking I think. Or maybe the accelerometer on the phone could also detect some of those things.

What do you think?

Advertisement