• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Visual Voice Mail Hits Android (Soon)

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
In the last few months, Visual Voice Mail has swept across nearly all carriers as an extra feature to improve your mobile experience. Why it took so long for this simple and intuitive solution to come to fruition is a huge question mark, but all that really matter is that your T-Mobile G1 will soon [...]

More...

You know what I'd rather have than visual voicemail? voice mail delivered to my gmail account. And have the G1 be able to play the attachments it would be receiving through gmail.

What's kind of funny is, I have Vonage for my home, and I can forward mp3 (I believe) attachments of messages left on my home voice mail.

So, I always know when someone's called my home and left a message, and I can listen to the attachment with the G1 by just clicking on it.

so while I can hear my home messages via email, I can't hear Voice Messages left on my cell phone without calling the voice mail center.

Upvote 0
Basically, now you can get voicemails left to your G1 phone only when you call the service and you listen to them? If they implement visual voice mail, it will be the same as on iPhone - only the voicemails left for that phone# will be available, right?
But, if you think about it, you get voice messages at work and home, or maybe you have two phones.
So, how about all those messages left are in one place - as (.wav) attachments in you Inbox?
All you need is service providers forwarding them as email attachments to your email address and an app that will collect them from the server and will act as a player as well. The app can also include various codec support to be able to play all of them. There are third party apps that do this, but they are not supporting Android...yet.

The question is - do you think there would be interest for something like this among the users?

Upvote 0
So, how about all those messages left are in one place - as (.wav) attachments in you Inbox?

What you said was largely what I was talking about, except this line.

mp3, not wav. Lets go with the generic and more widely usable format.

But, yes, I'd love it if all of my voicemail sources could be told "email my voice mail to me as MP3 files". Preferably with the sending phone number and caller-id in the subject line, like:

To: Me <home@email.tld>
Date: (whatever)
Subject: +1-408-555-1234 Private Caller

Where I know that "AT&T Voice Mail" means my home voice mail. For work, it'd be "(My employer's name) Voice Mail" or something. For my cell, it'd be something like "T-Mobile Voice Mail".

If all of my phone sources did that, And my G1 could play those MP3's right out of my gmail account, that would be ideal.

Upvote 0
What you said was largely what I was talking about, except this line.

mp3, not wav. Lets go with the generic and more widely usable format.

But, yes, I'd love it if all of my voicemail sources could be told "email my voice mail to me as MP3 files". Preferably with the sending phone number and caller-id in the subject line, like:

To: Me <home@email.tld>
Date: (whatever)
Subject: +1-408-555-1234 Private Caller

Where I know that "AT&T Voice Mail" means my home voice mail. For work, it'd be "(My employer's name) Voice Mail" or something. For my cell, it'd be something like "T-Mobile Voice Mail".

If all of my phone sources did that, And my G1 could play those MP3's right out of my gmail account, that would be ideal.

Got you.

It think that for now, third party apps can (the one I have in mind) have all the voicemails in the list and they get extracted from the emails. They incude info on the caller, phone # and you can respond right from there (call, SMS).. but if a service provider sends you email with voicemails attached, then you get it in the format as you describe it (with that kind of info).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones