1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Visual Voice Mail on Virgin Mobile Victory (any Victory)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pfoneguy, Jul 5, 2013.

1. pfoneguy

pfoneguy Member

I have a Sprint Victory that I use on Ting and the only Voice Mail Notification I get only shows up on the Voice Mail Icon and only if I have either WiFi or Data turned on.
    So, to those of you who have the VM version of the Victory, with both Wifi/Data turned off and someone leaves a Voice Mail Message do you receive a Voice Mail Notification in the Status bar at the top of your phone? I am trying to find out if this is a Samsung or Ting problem. My son's Virgin EVO 3D, with both WiFi/Data turned off, sets a Voice Mail Notification in the status bar and if you slide that down and tap the notification it goes straight to visual voice mail. Not so with my Sprint Victory.
    Anyone with a Victory that has information on this issue is welcomed!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

**Removed incorrect info...

3. pfoneguy

pfoneguy Member

So where is this written down in officialdom or is this simply something you believe is so? Serious question and thanks for your input.

Like I said, my son's EVO 3D has the same visual voice mail app and it has notification over voice and it is not exactly ancient, so it is a tough sell to say data has to be on. If so, this is total BS because there are plenty of circumstances that leave you with no access to data, like voice only roaming. No issue with text notifications?
    Do you have a Victory? What phone do you have and does it have "notifications over voice"?

I am really interested in responses from those with actual experience with this device, from VM and Sprint/Sprint MVNO users.
    Thanks

kwknott likes this.
  4. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

I apologize but I was incorrect. I do get a notification with data disabled.
    When off data I get a notification of pending voicemail which connects me to voucemail.

When on data it gets handled thru my vvm app.

It has never worked that way for me before and now that I think about it I think it was probably an issue with my account because Virgin just had to reset it for me last week because people couldn't leave me messages.

Sorry for the incorrect info. It would appear the issue is with Ting. From what I read online Ting doesn't actually support vvm but it works since your on Sprints network. It seems to me like it's how Ting handles voicemail

5. pfoneguy

pfoneguy Member

Thanks, I assume that you have a VM Victory? Ting is trying to tell me that I have to disable vvm altogether, that it is suppose to only work for 30 days? It is my understanding that the premium service that that transcribed vm to text was and is only good for 30 days.

6. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

From what I have read online vvm when on Ting does continue to work after 30 just without the voice to text feature. It does appear the no notification issue you have is due to how Tings voicemail works with your Sprint Victory.

7. pfoneguy

pfoneguy Member

Where are you reading this, please post a link. If you are reading the Ting forum then it is all supposition because they don't really know the answer. I can't find where is it written down anywhere that std vvm expires 30 days after initially activating the phone? All call settings for voice mail take me to the vvm application, there is no other voice mail application on the phone so what would the phone use for so-called regular voice mail? All I see is where the premium service has a 30 day trial? If anything, the vvm should not work and the std notification should not be affected, so it is a bogus claim by Ting if you ask me?
    Thanks for your input.

8. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

Not sure about most of this, but your one question is pretty simple:
    You don't need any app to get voicemail on VirginMobile (or T-Mobile, I haven't been on other carriers, so I don't know about them). You get a notification of a missed call, and you call the voice-mail number (or your own phone number, then enter your password) to hear it.

9. pfoneguy

pfoneguy Member

Huh?
    So you call voice mail to see if someone left you a message after every missed call, LOL.
    Even the simple ass feature phones I have owned have left a voice mail notification when a message has been left and like I already mentioned, my son's VM EVO V gets a notification with data and wifi turned off.

10. JonathanWhitey

JonathanWhitey Android Enthusiast

There is a notification, but it takes you to a call with your voice mail. I'm pretty sure all smartphones don't this unless you pay for visual voicemail

11. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

I'm surprised you haven't seen the VoiceMail icon in the status bar, perhaps it doesn't appear with VVM activated?

Samsung Galaxy Victory Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Victory release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews