1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Visual Voicemail options

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rwestiv, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Rwestiv

Rwestiv Newbie
    None

May 22, 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    I'd love to get other Infuse owners opinions on visual voicemail.

From what I can find it looks like the two best options are Google Voice and Youmail.

Can anyone give share their experiences with these two services?

Thanks!

GBA

Advertisement

2. absolutsyd

absolutsyd Lurker
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    I've been trying to get google voice to work on mine with at&t with no luck. I can't seem to figure out how to get unanswered calls to forward to my google voice mail. Last time I tried, if someone called, after a few rings it just told them to "press one to make a call..."

3. LukeOlson

LukeOlson Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Software Engineer
    For Google Voice to work, you have to go to http://google.com/voice, log in, go to Voice Settings, click on the Phones tab, look for your phone and click on Activate Google voicemail on this phone which will take you through a process to get it up and working.

I've got it working just great on my Infuse.

4. Rwestiv

Rwestiv Newbie
    None

May 22, 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    I really liked the Youmail features and I was heading down that path until I read the reviews.

They weren't horrible, Run Away! Run Away! bad, but they weren't great either.

So I went with GV yesterday. I had one person tell me that they tried calling but didn't recognize the VM announcement so they hung up. However I didn't get a missed call message so I tried calling from my home phone.

So I tried calling my Infuse from my home phone, and sure enough it went right to VM without ringing. Needless to say I wasn't a very happy camper.

I did a battery pull, recorded a new VM announcment and tried it again. Thankfully everything worked at that point, recieved calls, the missed call and VM notifications came through without a hitch.

It's too bad there isn't a VVM native app on the Infuse. Is this an Android issue or specific to the Infuse?

I'm glad it's working now, but it does make me nervous.

5. LukeOlson

LukeOlson Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Software Engineer
    T-Mobile has a Visual Voicemail app, but I've yet to see one for AT&T.

6. marty331

marty331 Newbie
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Just make sure you have your Google Voice phone number set as the voicemail number when you are setting up Google Voice as your voicemail. I have it going and it works perfectly.

7. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    ^^^ The same with my account. I got Google Voice working, and I even have the text transcription, too.

8. katlane

katlane Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    I got google voice but when people leave a message it sends a transcribed text but it does not say who the message is from and does not include the the voice message. Also it costs att minutes when they leave the message and then costs me again to listen when I call on my phone. It is really not and adequate voice mail system.

Is there any real visual voicemail where the voice file is on my phone along with the callback number and contact name??

9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    You need the google voice app.

It works by call forwarding when they leave a message so it should not be using minutes when msgs are left.

In the settings i suggest disabling text...enable email..in the email there is a play button AND text. the same is true for the google voice app.

i have a pretty slick setup with gvoice....i give random people that number so my main number isnt out floating around. when i make calls it asks which number to display on outgoing. and you can screen your incoming calls too...or just dont answer and it goes to google voicemail.

if it would help i can try and type up a how to because it sounds like folks have the setting a bit off. it really is awesome when properly set up.

10. DrCaleb

DrCaleb Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2011
    A walk thru would be nice to have. I would like to see if I could save one of my old voice messages so that I can keep it for a while.

Thank you

11. DrCaleb

DrCaleb Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2011
    A walk thru would be nice to have. I would like to see if I could save one of my old voice messages so that I can keep it for a while.

Thank you