1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Vlingo and EVO 4G (or other recs for voice app)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oski, Apr 14, 2012.

1. oski

oski Lurker

Hello,

Looking to understand the following problems I've had consistently with Vlingo's simplest features. Hoping that there's some help from other EVO 4G users.

HTC EVO 4G on Sprint running Android 2.3.5 with Vlingo's voice recognizer selected in my settings. I have tried Vlingo over the past few months, checking for updates, etc. to see if it will do the things I've seen on the Youtube videos and which others apparently can do with the app "out of the box"

Sending myself reminders by text:
    1) I have my own contact information set up as 'Me' and 'Myself' in my contacts list. But, when I say "Text Me Pick up milk" or "Text Myself Pick up milk", Vlingo picks one of my contacts named Mendes. There is no way I can get around this. I've tried saying Me and Myself many different ways but Vlingo picks Mendes

2) I set up my name, 'Ravi', in contacts and tried the above. Vlingo says there is no contact named 'Robbie' and asks for a Contact to text. Similarly, trying to call my name doesn't work, either. Intriguingly, the stock voice dialer can figure it out.

3) Training - I tried texting and emailing myself ten times and each time correcting Vlingo's choice of recipient to train it. Doesn't seem to work.

Opening apps:
    1) Vlingo will open MailDroid,my email program, on command. Should I be able to send emails through Vlingo or will it simply just open the app?

2) Can I activate/deactivate my GPS through Vlingo? I have tried "Activate GPS", "Turn on GPS", "Enable GPS" etc. and it goes to Web Search. "Open GPS" says Application not found

3) Can I set default Apps such as web browser, mail program, navigation, etc.?

I am also having problems with the In Car version but would like to see if I can get the simpler tasks above to work and then come back with further questions.

If there are better apps out there, I'm open to switching. I've tried Jeanne, Skyvi, and Eva but they all have their own issues.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

While voice recognition is getting better its still not perfect. I'm no expert in the area but I do know that if the wind blows while you say something then its often misinterpreted.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews