• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vlingo newbie questions

I decided to try Vlingo and out of the box, it was working great. A few issues, though. Speaking the name "Laurie" to Vlingo always produces the result "Lori." This forces text editing...unfortunately, text-editing is a (very) weak point of keyboard apps. Even if I pronounce the name more like "Lowry," Vlingo still prints "Lori." Is there some way to train it to produce the desired name? The command "spell laurie" always prints "LaurIe" with a capital "I". (Google's voice command system is a complete no-hoper with this name.)

I tried to make Vlingo the default voice-command system on this phone (Samsung Fascinate, 2.2 Froyo) by setting Options > Voice Input and Output > Voice Recognition to Vlingo. I had hoped I could use it with the Swype keyboard to take advantage of that keyboard's editing features -- way superior to all others I've tried so far.

But even with the default voice recognition changed, only Vlingo's own keyboard launches Vlingo when the microphone key is pressed. (That keyboard has at least one serious bug making it unpleasant to use, and I'd rather avoid it if I could.)

Is there a way to set Vlingo as the default voice input system for the Swype keyboard -- or any of the others?

Thanks in advance...

I decided to try Vlingo and out of the box, it was working great. A few issues, though. Speaking the name "Laurie" to Vlingo always produces the result "Lori." This forces text editing...unfortunately, text-editing is a (very) weak point of keyboard apps. Even if I pronounce the name more like "Lowry," Vlingo still prints "Lori." Is there some way to train it to produce the desired name? The command "spell laurie" always prints "LaurIe" with a capital "I". (Google's voice command system is a complete no-hoper with this name.)

I tried to make Vlingo the default voice-command system on this phone (Samsung Fascinate, 2.2 Froyo) by setting Options > Voice Input and Output > Voice Recognition to Vlingo. I had hoped I could use it with the Swype keyboard to take advantage of that keyboard's editing features -- way superior to all others I've tried so far.

But even with the default voice recognition changed, only Vlingo's own keyboard launches Vlingo when the microphone key is pressed. (That keyboard has at least one serious bug making it unpleasant to use, and I'd rather avoid it if I could.)

Is there a way to set Vlingo as the default voice input system for the Swype keyboard -- or any of the others?

Thanks in advance...

Have you tried the same on google search via voice.

Upvote 0
Have you tried the same on google search via voice.

What specifically? (Meaning which procedure would "the same" be?) The main thing here is how to prevent the Google voice-command system from remaining the default -- even though I have told the phone via its settings menus to use Vlingo as the default voice-command system, especially desirable if I've selected the Swype keyboard due to its excellent text-editing and word-suggestion features. But Google persists as the default.

I sent e-mail to Vlingo's tech support address, reporting a truly ugly bug in their keyboard app. Maybe they'll have a suggestion regarding the default voice command system as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones