• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VM System Updates

m-cman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2011
Dallas
Don't know why this hasn't been discussed yet. I can't be the only one with this problem. I am in the Dallas area.

For the last four days I have been unable to log on to my VM account. Wanted to swap from my LG OPV to my new HTC EVO V. According to Customer Service, VM is updating their system and they will notify me when I can log on to swap phones. Only problem is my pay date has passed and I pay automatically via credit card. I waited a couple weeks to change phones close to my pay date so I wouldn't lose my paid up time. From what I understand they restart your plan and you lose whatever you have left on your old plan. Now I will lose a whole month or have to wait another month to swap.

They did say the changes are to control usage so all customers have service. Must be ways to control throttling.

Anyone else having problems?

You can swap phones in the middle of your month. They don't restart your plan, it carries over to your new phone.

If you are on one of the grandfathered plans ($25/$40), and swap to a phone that's ineligible for the plan, you will have to change plans at that point and make a new payment. If you are swapping to a phone compatible with your current plan, you won't need to start your month over.

Virgin Mobile must be migrating accounts to their new system in batches; I've seen similar problems mentioned many times on Facebook in the last few months. You could always try contacting one of the Facebook team to see if they'll facilitate your phone swap for you and credit the amount of your old plan to the new one, I'd necessary. I believe they are able to do that in certain circumstances; I'm just not sure what the requirements are. In any case, with all the problems and complaints lately, I would hope they'd be receptive to a politely worded request.

Upvote 0
aml1025 is correct. I am moving from the $40 plan to the $45 plan. Both are the same plan just went up $5 when VM had the price change. Had to do that going to the EVO from the OPV. When you change to the new plan they hit the credit card and restart the plan at that time. I lose any remaining time/minutes, etc. I just have bad timing, hitting at the system change. :)

I don't use Facebook or any social media.

Just found out I could sign on again. Appears they finished the updates in my area after at least 4 days. Don't know how long as I didn't try to sign on prior to that. Turned off both phones, changed to the $45 plan and added the EVO V. They immediately hit my cc with the $45 charge. They said they would notify me when the change was completed with an email. I will see if it worked and post an update. :hmmmm:

Thanks for the responses...:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones