• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VNC Server for Droid Eris

porky101

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey, US
twitter.com
If anyone has jailbroken their iPod Touch or iPhone you know that you can get an app called Veency, that allows you to set up a vnc server on your iPhone and be able to view and control your iPhone via a TightVNC client on your computer.

Is there an app for that for the Andorid software, whats it called and would I have to root my device? I have an HTC Droid Eris.

It looks like some people have VNC Server software running on Dev phones, but not very reliably or functionally as a practical matter.

I would expect to see this work in the coming months. There is a demand for it. Having root and running some linux commands might get you there right now, on a rooted phone. Hard to tell by reading the forum posts they have.

But certainly nothing you can download and use at this point. Not that I can find! I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Upvote 0
Another alternative to VNC server is freenx. I'm not sure if this is available for Android but it is available on most Linux distributions and I've used it on Red Hat and CentOS doing a simple yum install. There is also a free MS windows client you can download and use. I've found it to be much faster than VNC server. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone has any experience using it. The only drawback I have seen is that it uses DSA encryption keys for SSH, not RSA leaving freenx somewhat less secure than VNC.

Upvote 0
Argh! When we first conceived of PhoneMyPC, our dream was to have bi-directional control, so you could control your PC with your phone (which we have accomplished), and you could control your phone from your PC (which we have not).

It turned out that Android's security model made this impossible (I DO hate that word, but we haven't found a way yet). Even the root kits that I know of don't make available what you need to write such an app.

I could get a copy of the Android source and hack it to make it work, but then only my custom-built applications would be able to do this.

I would very much like Google to add such an API; something that allowed whole-screen access and touch-input and hard-button simulation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones