1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Vodafone UK Skype and 3G

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by grahamjohnbrow, Jul 24, 2011.

1. grahamjohnbrow

None

Jul 24, 2011
    We are currently on a Vodafone UK Monthly Plan and am due an upgrade. My wifes daughter is in Holland and we will want to ring her (Voice) using a VOIP service like Skype occasionally when we cannot get Wi-Fi ie we will need to use 3G. Is this possible with any android phone and particularly relevant is if we stay with Vodafone?

Many thanks for any advice offered

Advertisement

2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    If Skype won't work, look at Fring, Nimbuzz and a few others. Fring to Fring was free the last time I looked. There's a few new ones, too.

On Skype, I wanted it for a Nokia (Symbian). The Skype site said a version was available, but Nokia's Ovi store said it wasn't available to America and Western Europe. I did get it from an independent site, and it does work on network and wifi. There must be some kind of agreement with carriers to ban this.

Here, it is wifi only, but I think one carrier did license it (they use Android, IOS, MS, etc) so the rest of us use wifi.
    Facebook has a video chat with Skype that goes through Facebook. What it uses, I have no idea.

Here's a quote from wikipedia:
    A variety of BlackBerry and Android 3G Smartphones, through Verizon Wireless' Skype mobile service. Customers can receive Skype calls, instant messages and see friends' presence any time the phone is on. Skype usage isn't charged against customers’ monthly Verizon Wireless minute allowance when calling another Skype account (Skype-to-Skype). Customers in the U.S. use minutes from their calling plan when calling U.S. land lines or cell phones.[93]