1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Voice calls killing my battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brent_strong, Apr 7, 2011.

1. brent_strong

brent_strong Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    So, I know that voice calls are normally pretty battery intensive, but when I had my Incredible, it was easily good for a few hours of calls without running the battery dry.

Over the past few days though, I've noticed the Thunderbolt very quickly drains my battery. Today has been the worst I've seen.

Battery just turned yellow, so there's 25% or less left.

50% of my battery usage has been voice calls.

How long have I been on the phone for these calls?

12 minutes.....This would give me roughly 30-45 minutes talk time from a full battery to empty.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Advertisement

2. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    wait...people TALK on these things? :p

I dunno, I've used all of about 3 minutes talk time total. Then again, I just got in Monday, and have been playing with everything else, and my service at home is barely there at best.

(I really don't have any input on it, but I just had to harp on using a phone as a phone these days :p)

3. brent_strong

brent_strong Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Rooted it and running DasBAMF. We'll see if that helps.

4. snuggles

snuggles Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Chicago/NW Indiana
    I have the same problem while talking on my TB. The rate at which the battery drains is crazy!!

5. Bramsy

Bramsy Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Awsome-o
    Birmingham, MI
    back when i was enamored with 4G that was the norm for me, kinda.

now that i have switched to 3G, i'm going the full day with moderate usage!

6. Evulution

None

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm willing to bet you guys aren't turning 3G/4G off. Or are you guys talking and using data at the same time? If so its going to drain battery. Even just texting while talking keeps the phone illuminated instead of the phone sleeping. Not turning down the brightness will drain some battery.

Anyway, this is common knowledge.

7. brent_strong

brent_strong Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    No, I'm not turning 4g off. I'm in the "I shouldn't have to disable major features of my phone to get reasonable battery performance out of it" camp.

8. jdk2

jdk2 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    Male
    Celebration, FL
    With that thinking, you're not going to be happy with this device long term. The battery just won't last without frequent charging under those conditions.

Though, I agree you shouldn't have to turn anything off to have a satisfying experience. Unfortunately, the design engineers at HTC must have forgotten about the size of the battery before finishing the software.

9. brent_strong

brent_strong Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, I am holding out some hope for an 1800mah battery that fits in the stock case. That, and some more tweaking with root and undervolting, and hopefully it's acceptable to use. Otherwise I might have to resort to turning off 4g.

10. Evulution

None

Apr 4, 2011
    Actually, HTC figured people would have common sense when buying a smartphone. At home do you leave your lights, TV, or lights to your car on? HTC figured people would cut off their radios on their phone when not using those radios. Hence, you have access to your radios. Everyone knows 4G Qik burn a hole in your phone if you leave it on. I think this thread should be closed, nothing to see here folks. Don't know why this was even made a thread.

11. Binglut9

Binglut9 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    Buffalo,NY
    I don't think you should be able to comment anymore how about that nothing good to say then don't open your mouth he was just trying to get information about voice draining the battery

12. Evulution

None

Apr 4, 2011
    This remark says enough. If a person doesn't want advice then don't come here because you want to be close minded. If we are calling 4G your problem and you say you don't want to cut off the radio then you know it all and you don't need to post threads like this because you aren't open to people trying to help.

Everyone knows a phone battery isn't going to drain while talking on the phone unless you are in a POOR CDMA coverage area.

13. jzamorski113

jzamorski113 Lurker
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    So if my work is an area that doesnt have 4g coverage is the phone still looking for 4g constantly if I don't turn it off somehow. I only got the phone a few days ago, and I am just reading up on all this stuff now. It sucks carrying my charger to work and not being able to go a full day.