• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice Commands: Still useful? or a Novelty?

ArmchairBear

Apr 28, 2010
I just recently got the Droid MAXX, and I've been testing out different voice commands. So far they seem moderately useful. Not having to touch the phone at all to give a voice command seems pretty awesome so far (I'm using a trusted bluetooth device to keep my phone unlocked).

I'm curious if folks out there with Moto X phones or the new Droids, who've had their phones for a while still use touchless controls and/or voice commands on a regular basis.

When I first read about the X8 computing platform, I thought the contextual cores were a very good idea, and that it would catch on with other manufacturers, but now, I'm not so sure. (well, really it's too soon to tell).

Also, for people with non-motorola phones, do you find Google Now voice commands still useful?

I'll use it to send a text message once in a while when I don't feel like typing. The speech-to-text conversion/recognition is fairly good I think.

I do appreciate how well voice commands works over all. Honestly, even if I don't use it often, I like it being there when I want to use it.

I use them mainly for navigation, although usually within Maps, so technically that's not a voice command, but voice recognition.

I'll also use them for calling a phone number from my BT headset.

I use VR a lot for texts and emails.

Wow, for emails too. For me, I don't think I would dictate a long email, but a short email would work for me.

Actually, using it to open Pandora is a really good idea especially since it starts playing right away. I gotta remember that one.

Upvote 0
I have a friend who is blind & voice is her only way of using a smart phone. Imagine trying to use a smart phone without being able to see! She has to get help for most features but she does a lot with voice. I read that some developers are working on a surface with slightly raised buttons instead of a smooth surface, but I have no idea if anything is beyond the lab stage. I never tried voice myself, but after seeing her in action, I plan to check it out.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I know regulars must be sick of hearing this :sorry: but as a Scotsman with a very broad accent, its much faster and less embarrasing/funny for me to just type in the commands than to try and impersonate a BBC or CNN news reader lol :D
With so many regional accents, i cant see an easy way around this until a system can be "taught" an accent so voice rec' is a NO for me (for now) :)

Upvote 0
I know regulars must be sick of hearing this :sorry: but as a Scotsman with a very broad accent, its much faster and less embarrasing/funny for me to just type in the commands than to try and impersonate a BBC or CNN news reader lol :D
With so many regional accents, i cant see an easy way around this until a system can be "taught" an accent so voice rec' is a NO for me (for now) :)

Ditto, although I bet your accent is broader than mine! :p

TBH, I feel a bit of clown actually telling my phone what needs to be done anyway, so typing works for me.

Upvote 0
I actually use it more than I thought I would if I'm playing ps3 or just get off work and am driving home it makes it so much easier and safer I can say the g2 intrigues me but the moto x really works like it should I have yet to have any lag and the only problems I have had is network issues so moto did it right with the new line up

Upvote 0
It might sound weird, but I really like using voice commands to set alarms. If I need to set a timer or alarm for a nap, I don't want to stare at the keypad and calculate what time I need to set. And I'm good at math.

If I key in an alarm by touch, sometimes I forget if I set it for the correct day or whether I put AM or PM. With a voice command I feel more sure of what I set. I think Google Now repeats the time back to you.

It's a little thing, but making sure you set an alarm properly is important.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones