1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Voice control

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by BillAZ, Dec 31, 2011.

1. BillAZ

BillAZ Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    EE
    I recently got a LG Nitro HD after having had a WM6 phone for more than two years. I guess I am spoiled by being able to control that phone by voice.

I would appreciate any guidance you knowledgeable Android users and developers can offer. I am an Android newbie, but very tech savvy (programmer, design engineer- embedded). I have used MS Voice Command for about 5 or 6 years and think it's the coolest app I've ever seen. I have decided to move to Android- so it's gone. It used to be a separate program but has been standard on Windows phones since WM6. In fact, I am spoiled by it, since I can use it anywhere (operates on local CPU with no wireless 3G, 4G or WiFi connection whatsoever), and works with bluetooth. This was especially handy for operating my device (limited) or placing calls while driving without having to ever look at the display, or even touch anything but my bluetooth headset.

It can be used to make calls from a bluetooth headset (or any other command) without ever touching the phone. It confirms the person and the type of number I want to dial (Cell, Work, Home, etc.) via synthesized voice. So there's no need to set a default number and you can call someone on any of the numbers that are attached by category.

Here are some of the things you can say (speaker independent) and that I hope are available on Android:

What's my next appointment?
    What is my battery level?
    What time is it?
    Start <Application Name>
    Show Contacts - shows the entire list of contacts in the phone
    Show <Contact Name> - show all the information for the named contact
    Flight Mode <on/off>
    Set Ringer <High/Low/Vibrate> etc.
    Dial <phone number>
    Call <Contact Name> on <Home/Work/Cell, etc.>

The setting is confirmed by stating the current state of that setting. Dialing is confirmed by repeating the contact name and phone number category, or the digits given, depending on how the command was given. The number is not dialed until it's conformed by saying "yes" or "Correct". And this works seamlessly with or without Bluetooth.

Voice Command will not allow you to dictate text into an edit field. I am very impressed with Android's transcription, which requires a wireless connection to a server, but works quite well from the first time I tried it.

I would like something even close to similar (plus transcription, preferably) for Android, either with or without a wireless connection, and am wondering whether it's available or will be in the foreseeable future, and what it's called so I can put it on my device.

Thanks in advance for educating me!

Many thanks,

Bill

Advertisement

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I recommend you try VLingo. I currently use it although I don't use voice actions as much as you do. The other one I have used is Cyberon. I have also heard of one called Edwin, although I have not tried it myself.

3. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    business owner
    SoCal
    Choice Dialer+ is good and does everything I need.

4. BillAZ

BillAZ Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    EE
    Many thanks for these suggestions. I will have a try with those.

5. jae_63

jae_63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    The FlexT9 keyboard software is sometimes free, and has the interesting/unusual feature that it includes access to Nuance's dictation (same as used by Siri). I find this to be more accurate than the Google voice interface.

Nuance also provides a free API which is very similar to Google's, and these APIs are available on any phone where FlexT9 is installed. Developers can (with a little effort) make their software compatible with both voice recognition engines. This means that if there's voice software which you like, you can ask the developer to include support for the Nuance API, which in turn would give you access to a better product.

I have only used Android versions up through 2.3 (Gingerbread). It's possible that newer operating system software does a better job with Google's own voice recognition.

6. TulsaTime

TulsaTime Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 26, 2010
    vlingo has been the best i've found. i liked jeannie with more commands but found the accuracy to be poor with jeannie.