1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Voice Dial on LG G2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JMBUFFI, Jan 1, 2014.

1. JMBUFFI

JMBUFFI Member
    None

Oct 30, 2013
    Chicago
    Is there a way to reset or train the voice dial app on the G2? I have a motorola roadster 2 paired with the phone and when I want to make a hands-free call to a contact, it never gets it correct and dials someone at random in my contact list. Anyway to fix this issue?:mad:

Advertisement

2. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    The pairing with your device will be different than I experience with my Sony BT3900U car stereo, but maybe this will help.

If I initiate dialing them I can use two forms of verbal instruction...

The first is "DIAL 1112223333" with the word DIAL followed by the seven digits spoken.

The second is "CALL Mom AT HOME" with the words CALL AT and HOME spoken, and Mom replaced with the name of the contact, and iF there are multiple numbers for the contact, say MOBILE or OFFICE spoken as appropriate.

HTH

3. Klotar

Klotar Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 21, 2013
    To expand a bit on what Stef7 posted, you can also set a "Phonetic Name" for each contact in your Contacts. For example, if you have a contact named "Steve Jonessmithcooperwhatshisname" that the voice dial has a problem with, you can set a Phonetic Name for Steve as, for example, "Stevie". So then to voice dial, you might say "CALL Stevie MOBILE" and it should dial the right one. You can play with the phonetic name to make it more recognizable to the dialer, e.g. "Stee vee", which should work unless you have more than one contact that sounds like that, in which case it may dial the wrong number. But give this a go and let us know how you make out.

4. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    That's slick and would certainly help with very ethnic contact names, except where are you finding this option? I'm in my contacts, I edit one, I don't see a special entry for this...

5. Klotar

Klotar Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 21, 2013
    LOL, I had no idea, I played around with my contacts just now, and couldn't figure it out either!

Update: I now figured it out: the Samsung Galaxy S3 allows you to add that field to contacts; and when I sync'd my contacts to the G2 when I bought it, that Phonetic Name field carried over.

There is a way to edit your contacts to add phonetic names. HOWEVER, it has to be done on Gmail using the PC and not on the G2 device.

So, go to Gmail on your PC, change the dropdown selector from Gmail to Contacts. Pick the desired contact. At the bottom of the contact card, click the "Add" dropdown. One of the choices should be Phonetic Name.

6. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    Ahh, thanks for solving that mystery.

That would be an LG implementation bug. If there are other fields that cannot be selected, that's not good. There's a work-around sure, but looks like they might have missed it?

7. jwbwd2

jwbwd2 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 5, 2013
    Male
    Chemist
    I have been having this problem with my car. When I synch with the bluetooth it will not recognize the name spoken on my G2 (it does however recognize a spoken phone number) but worked PERFECTLY every time with my 1st gen Droid Razr. I have implemented the Phonetic Name into Google contacts and will try it on my way home. I tried it on a very simple name, "Greg". Will update to let you know if it works or not.

8. jwbwd2

jwbwd2 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 5, 2013
    Male
    Chemist
    The Google Phonetic Name did NOT work.

LG G2

The LG G2 has a 5.2-inch display with 1080p resolution. It also has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 13 megapixel camera, NFC, and more.
Tags: