• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice dialer question

pool_shark

Android Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Ohio
My girlfriend recently bought the Incredible.

She says the voice dialer app isn't very accurate, is there a way to train it? I had her go into the voice recognizer settings but the option to train it is not there as it was on the D2.

She also says it doesn't prompt her for confirmation and she can't find the setting to have it confirm before dialing. Is there an option she's missing?

Has she tried Vlingo? It became a free app for android about a month ago and you can use it to voice dial, text, web search and Navigation. It also has settings for dial only when confident or always.

She hasn't we're looking at the native app.
Does Vlingo initiate from the BT headset? If not, that isn't a suitable replacement.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately no it doesn't, I thought about that a few minutes after posting. If you have a blutooth headset attached and on it will still initiate from voice dialer when call is placed from headset.

For me voice dialer from blutooth headset has been accurate. When I upgraded to 2.2 I did have a slight issue with Vlingo where it always dialed the first number in a contact instead of the requested one. I asked about it here on the forum and one other poster said there's worked fine. Since then I have it set to dial when confident not a biggie since the wife is really the only person with multiple phone numbers and it will dial all others.

I would still recommend Vlingo as the 2 can coexist and you can easily text, google, and setup Navigation all while driving. Pretty cool.

Edit: just went into the app and just noticed you can also speak facebook updates and twitter updates. Also you can say call a specific location ie. call local Dominos and it will find the ph number an call it for you.

Reactions: djk_droid
Upvote 0
Good luck, the mic on her headset might be at fault and may be picking up roadnoise and such. A newer headset may do the trick.

Someone also posted about realizing that if they have the phone connected for music to their car via the 3.5mm jack that the mic on the phone still clearly picks up your voice for handsfree conversations at arms length. This will work in a car obviously not so much if she is a public transportation commuter.

Upvote 0
I have never had any problems with the voice commands on my incredible, be it the voice dial or the google searches or anything else. But my fiance was complaining that his never worked.

So I finally asked him to do it right in front of me. That's when I discovered the problem. He was practically yelling at the phone and doing it at the speed of light. I actually started laughing at him.

The point is, she probably just needs to learn how to use it. Tell her to slow down a bit, talk in a normal (not yelling, not whispering) voice and to talk clearly. She'll get the hang of it.

As for the other problem, I use an app called Call Confirm that is awesome! When you try to make a call it pops up a window that says "Do you really want to call ___?" and you hit okay. Its great for when you are scrolling through your contacts and accidentally select one of them. Of course... the voice dialer has this built in so I am not sure why she's not seeing it...

Upvote 0
I hated the native voice dialer on 2.1 but the 2.2 version is much better. The older version had trouble when I tried to specify a specific number such as mobile. For example "Call Dad, mobile". It works a lot better in 2.2 though.

I still think vlingo is more accurate but I use the native one over bluetooth with about an 80% success rate. My liquid aux bluetooth is about 2 years old.

Upvote 0
I have never had any problems with the voice commands on my incredible, be it the voice dial or the google searches or anything else. But my fiance was complaining that his never worked.

So I finally asked him to do it right in front of me. That's when I discovered the problem. He was practically yelling at the phone and doing it at the speed of light. I actually started laughing at him.

The point is, she probably just needs to learn how to use it. Tell her to slow down a bit, talk in a normal (not yelling, not whispering) voice and to talk clearly. She'll get the hang of it.

As for the other problem, I use an app called Call Confirm that is awesome! When you try to make a call it pops up a window that says "Do you really want to call ___?" and you hit okay. Its great for when you are scrolling through your contacts and accidentally select one of them. Of course... the voice dialer has this built in so I am not sure why she's not seeing it...

Thanks, but her previous phone had BT voice dialing, she had no problems with it. She has been having issues with people hearing her since she got the Incredible. I think she needs to try a new headset. I already order one for her.

Are you saying there is a setting in the voice dialer app for confirmation? My Omnia and now my Droid 2 have voice confirmation. If I say call mom mobile, the app says "Did you say call mom mobile"? I say yes and it dials.

My suspicion is that the phone is in a purse or bag and not being looked at when placing the call.

She doesn't keep her phone in a purse or bag.
Why would you need to look at the phone for hands free voice dialing?

Upvote 0
Right now, I have more than 3000 names in my phone book because I keep my entire contact list in my Gmail account. It is easy for the system to make a mistake because some of the names are quite close to others.

However -- there are probably only about a dozen numbers that I regularly want to call hands-free. These would mostly be family members.

One way to make voice dialing more accurate would be to limit the number of names it recognizes. For example, what if the system would only voice dial numbers from my favorites list?

Is there any way to do this OR to request it as a feature?

Upvote 0
Tired Vlingo...I agree with others that it is a huge improvement over the native voice dialer with the Incredible.

Unfortunately no it doesn't, I thought about that a few minutes after posting. If you have a blutooth headset attached and on it will still initiate from voice dialer when call is placed from headset.

For me voice dialer from blutooth headset has been accurate. When I upgraded to 2.2 I did have a slight issue with Vlingo where it always dialed the first number in a contact instead of the requested one. I asked about it here on the forum and one other poster said there's worked fine. Since then I have it set to dial when confident not a biggie since the wife is really the only person with multiple phone numbers and it will dial all others.

I would still recommend Vlingo as the 2 can coexist and you can easily text, google, and setup Navigation all while driving. Pretty cool.

Edit: just went into the app and just noticed you can also speak facebook updates and twitter updates. Also you can say call a specific location ie. call local Dominos and it will find the ph number an call it for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones