1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Voice Dialing over Bluetooth Question...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tafkam88, Apr 19, 2012.

1. tafkam88

tafkam88 Newbie

Hi, not really an Android specific question but maybe someone knows

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast

This is one of those things that sucks with some Android phones.

Depending upon the model of your phone, you can have a built in "voice control" which does exactly what you described without a data plan. My LG has this. There is a bundled voice control app by Nuance (I believe it is similar to the voice control built in to the iPhone).

On the other hand, many Android phones (many premier models) use google's voice search to do voice dialing. In order to use voice search, you need an internet connection whcih means you need to pay for a data plan if you want to voice dial on the road. You speak into your phone, your voice pattern goes via data connection to a google server, google then sends a command to your phone to dial. Very inefficient considering dumb phones have been doing voice dialing for about ten years.

I don't know if the Jabra has built in voice recognition or if it will connect/command your phone. Why not buy it and try it. Return it if it does not work.

3. tafkam88

tafkam88 Newbie

Thanks Funpig, I think my Galazy S2 requires the Internet access as when I try to respond to a text with voice or simply bring up the google icon with the microphone it tells me I need a connection.

But the Garmin will voice dial t fine so it must have its own built in voice stuff. I have a $30 LG flip phone, no voice support on that one of course, and I am going to put the SIM in that and see if the Garmin can voice dial that one.

If it can then I know that everything is in the Garmin as the phone has no voice functions whatsoever.

I was planning on getting the Jabra Journey anyway, so as you say I can just try it. I think that Parrot does make some with what I want it do do, but their reviews are not great and the standby time is not even close to what the Jabra is, which is up to 1000 hours, has the auto connect and disconnect, etc. I want something (not too expensive) that I can leave in my car all the time and not have to worry about turning on and off, etc and if it gets stolen it won't be a huge deal.

4. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast

Yikes. I never leave anything in my vehicle to tempt thieves. Too much hassle to deal with insurer to fix windows, locks etc.

5. tafkam88

tafkam88 Newbie

I am pretty much the same way but one of these is not too noticeable as clips to the visor so it is not that safe but probably ok, and I can always quickly remove if I park in a questionable area. The Garmin Nuvi was $400 and that NEVER gets left in the car, even in the garage.