1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Voice Dialing with Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cbeck327, Jul 18, 2011.

1. cbeck327

cbeck327 Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    My voicedialing will not work properly with my HTC Droid Incredible 2. A friend had the same problem with his phone and I was assured when I purchased the phone yesterday, that the problems have been ironed out. It's an issue with the Android software, not the Bluetooth device. I tell it to "Call Home" and it calls a number that doesn't even remotely sound like "Home". If I can't sort this out, I'm taking it back because this phone will kill me if I try to use it in the car...quite literally. There doesn't seem a way to program the voice dialing to my voice.

Does anyone know of a patch for this?

Advertisement

2. victek

victek Android Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2011
    Have you tried using the voice dialer in a quiet environment without the headset to see if the voice recognition is better? If it is then maybe your headset is not filtering out the background noise well when you're driving. I've experimented with a number of headsets and some definitely work better than others in terms of voice recognition. Personally I've found the voice recognition to be pretty good on the Dinc2, and since the gingerbread update my headset connects better as well. You're right that there doesn't appear to be a way to "train" the system to recognize a specific voice.

3. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    What mobel / brand headset are you using? My wife uses the Motorola H700 and is not having any problems with her Inc2.

4. joel33852

joel33852 Lurker
    None

Jul 21, 2011
    I can't get th voice dialer to work at all on my evo 4g. i push the apt and it cut off the dial tone
    I can us the voice search and speak a number and it will dial that number.

Any help on this issue

5. bind00

bind00 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    I have a similar problem to the original poster. I can start the voice dialer by pressing the relevant button on the headset. The nice lady tells me to speak. I say "call name home" or "call name at home". The lady asks "call name at home, mobile or work?".

So she has recognised the name and knows that there are three numbers stored for it. At this point I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say. "call name at home" or "call name home" again or "call at home" or "call home" or just "home". Whatever I say she just keeps repeating the same question.

Sometimes she interprets home as mobile. But she just refuses to understand the word "home". Is there anything I can do to train this thing? I could be quite good. If it worked.

Thanks.

6. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    No problems with a BlueAnt Q2 or Sena SMH-10B (m/c helmet BT kit) if I speak clearly and at a normal pace and normal voice level (no shouting or whispering). Mumble or rush things and Voice Dialer will hand you a surprise more often than not. With a normal voice and enunciation, Voice Dialer will even work from my SMH-10 even at highway speeds.

7. bind00

bind00 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Good you. But I'm saying in my case it does not work. And I speak BBC English.
    Maybe that's the problem. How do you pronounce Home in American?
    :rolleyes:

8. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Not "hume" (with due apologies to Lord Home). ;) Nor "'ome". :D

What headset are you using?

9. victek

victek Android Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2011
    After the dialer recognizes the contact and asks for which number you only want to say "home" or "mobile", etc. When the dialer "gets it" the voice will repeat "calling so and so at "location" (home, mobile, work, et al). The fact that you're speaking the King's English (unlike the mumbling we do over here) may be a factor. Unfortunately the inc2 doesn't have a voice training feature. There are other voice dialing apps in the market that might work better. Here's one:

https://market.android.com/details?id=al.android.svd3trial&feature=search_result

bind00 likes this.
  10. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    "Call John Doe at home" works well for me. Or "Betty" totally screws up and says "dialing 602..." (a phone number, totally unrelated to John Doe's phone numbers), at which point I break the connection. But 80-90% of the time she gets it right.

BTW, I thought I saw a passing comment that Voice Dialer now does attempt some level of voice training. Or is that wishful thinking on my part?

11. bind00

bind00 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks. I couldn't find that anywhere. I did try it over and over (trying not to shout with exasperation) but with no luck.

That app says it requires a net connection which I'm not too keen on as I'll be using it abroad soon.

I'm using a Plantronics Voyager but I have the same problem without the headset. Dare I say, the phone is actually a Samsung Galaxy S but I found this thread and figure it must be a non-phone-specific Android issue.

12. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Er... Let Alfred Hawthorn Hill speak on the matter of assumptions:
    Never Assume

Jumping from Samsung to HTC... not a good idea.

Thanks for playing. Try again. :)

13. bind00

bind00 Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Keep posting. Maybe you'll be helpful eventually.
    I've got a problem. You haven't. Telling me you haven't doesn't help me much.

14. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    (Emphasis added - RBE)

Um, this is an HTC Incredible 2 forum, not a Samsung Galaxy S forum. My HTC phone is working as it should, your Samsung phone isn't. Is that my fault? I think not.

Really, your time is best spent asking questions of other Galaxy S owners and of Samsung and whoever your wireless provider is (Vodafone or whoever you signed up with).