• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice Dialing

jlbrown

Lurker
Feb 12, 2011
Just got my new HTC EVO 4G from work and I love everything except its ability to dial through voice. With my Blackberry, I never had saa problem dialing through voice and connecting to a bluetooth to dial. I want to be able to pair this with a car speaker system (Blueant S4) and eventually built in but cant even get the phone to do it on its own. I have no problem with the Navigation or Google searches through voice. Any suggestions?

How are your contact stored? I found that if all of my contacts were Google contacts, and not linked to phone contacts, voice dial (using Voice Search - long press magnifying glass) works correctly.

Just got my new HTC EVO 4G from work and I love everything except its ability to dial through voice. With my Blackberry, I never had saa problem dialing through voice and connecting to a bluetooth to dial. I want to be able to pair this with a car speaker system (Blueant S4) and eventually built in but cant even get the phone to do it on its own. I have no problem with the Navigation or Google searches through voice. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I just tried the Voice Search and it doesn't seem to recognize anyone in my Contacts (Google GMail contacts also under "People"). I say "Call Denise" and it picks some random Denise out of the local phone book rather the Denise in my contact list. It doesn't seem to recognize anyone in my contacts.

Upvote 0
I just tried the Voice Search and it doesn't seem to recognize anyone in my Contacts (Google GMail contacts also under "People"). I say "Call Denise" and it picks some random Denise out of the local phone book rather the Denise in my contact list. It doesn't seem to recognize anyone in my contacts.

I came across some other posts that said to re-download Voice Search and I did...it said it's updating the program but it still doesn't work worth a hoot. Then I came across another post that said to download the Vlingo app (free) and...holy cow...the thing works like a champ! It did everything I told it to do and it recognizes all my contacts. A much better app than Voice Search!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones