• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice echo. Anyone else getting this?

It causes the feedback echo issue. Again, without it the phone works perfectly. With it the caller hears their own voice echoed. Tested in a call. Started the call with the cover on, heard the echo. Removed it, the echo disappears. Do not buy the Sprint Hybrid Gel Cover it clearly interferes with the noise cancellation feature of the phone.

Upvote 0
Problem not depend of type or manufacturer of the case - it depends of your luck.
Some phones have echo - some - no. It is hardware problem! I know one man who have this terrible echo even without case on SGS2. I have HOCO case Royal Series ????? HOCO ??? Samsung i9100 Galaxy S 2 ??????? ?????
And I have echo. I always manually press menu & disable NR every time I or someone calling.

Upvote 0
LoL. As I said. Echo is a software problem in most cases!

Before I rooted phone there was no echo, after flashing ROM I got echo. Tried it yesterday...

I have put the sgs2 with stock kernel in the case and there was no echo...after that we flashed phone and on the SAME phone we got echo. (SAME CASE)

...there was 2 (two) phones tested with same results.

Upvote 0
I flash many firmwares before but nothing help, my phone still have echo!!! My friend have echo even without case (luckily he returned the phone already back to store). So in 80-90% cases it is hardware problem! On the phones where noise reduction function not exist there is no echo at all!! And I heard only about SGS2 echo.
So how can somebody blame the case - it is only piece of plastic, that protect the phone & if not it cover any holes on the phone - should not be any problem!
When I off NR - there is no echo. But some firmwares do not have option to disable NR.

Upvote 0
My SG2 started to develop the the echo today on calls, saying that hardly been using the phone to make calls - only got it last friday. Rang up Virgin Mobile & they are sending a replacement device tmrw to my office. Fingers crossed this doesn't have the same issue otherwise i will cancel my contract & wait for the S3 in a few months

Upvote 0
My SG2 started to develop the the echo today on calls, saying that hardly been using the phone to make calls - only got it last friday. Rang up Virgin Mobile & they are sending a replacement device tmrw to my office. Fingers crossed this doesn't have the same issue otherwise i will cancel my contract & wait for the S3 in a few months

New phone arrived this morning, seems a lot better so far - no complaints of echo yet. Will give it a couple of days to test it properly

Upvote 0
I am in a office with about 6x Samsung Galaxy S2 phones, mine is the only one that has the echo with the case on - there is about 3-4 different cases in the office and it does not matter which case I have on the phone it echo's - if I take the cover off it is fine - I personal think it is a problem with the phone - it is hit and miss, you may have a phone without the issue and you may have a phone with the issue 50/50, I have not been able to fix the issue if I put NC on during a phone call it does stop the echo, but there is no option to turn this one permanently.
I may send mine back to Samsung for repair.

Upvote 0
The only real reason for this annoying echo on the Samsung Galaxy S2 is acoustical feedback from the speaker near your ear to the 2nd mic (default activated for noise reduction!). The time lag between for the sound to travel two times to the GSM pole and back is some hundreds of msec, so a 'nice' and clear echo is the result. I succesfully applied a perfect solution presenten by Toxicdust on the XDA forum, which can be found here: Permanently Fix SGS2 Echo and Digital Noise Reduction/Cancellation Problems - xda-developers
It takes 10 minutes and some technical guts, but then your problem most likely is solved forever!

Reactions: Gearu
Upvote 0
dutchiek, Thank u for solution. I am not try it yet but I think that Sound from speaker goes into LOWER microphone via hard case NOT to UPPER.
As I understand how works NR. When u talk sound proceed into lower mic with more force than into upper mic, thats how the phone recognize useful signal (your voice) thats why everything what comes to upper mic with more or same force getting filtrated, it is really good idea to put some shield on the speaker against sound.
Awaiting more feedback from other people abt this solution.

Upvote 0
The only real reason for this annoying echo on the Samsung Galaxy S2 is acoustical feedback from the speaker near your ear to the 2nd mic (default activated for noise reduction!). The time lag between for the sound to travel two times to the GSM pole and back is some hundreds of msec, so a 'nice' and clear echo is the result. I succesfully applied a perfect solution presenten by Toxicdust on the XDA forum, which can be found here: Permanently Fix SGS2 Echo and Digital Noise Reduction/Cancellation Problems - xda-developers
It takes 10 minutes and some technical guts, but then your problem most likely is solved forever!

The solution is all good and well but you should not have to do it. The phone should work from the time of purchase. If you pay for a working product that's exactly what you should receive.

I wouldn't allow Samsung to get away with it, what's next, a do it yourself phone?

Upvote 0
Damn, I just bought a pack of condoms, what am I going to do with them now?

Took apart the phone for the 50th time in it's history, replaced the balloon stuff (it made things worse somehow) with business card over NC mic & speaker, fiddled with bottom receiver thing.
Apparently call quality is mint now, good to have it back after about 3 months of dread.

Upvote 0
Just got my new S2 and when ever i spoke to anyone they complained of terrible feedback. So with a tiny piece of clear sellotape (say 6mm x 6mm) i covered up the mic on the top of the handset ( the tiny hole on the very top next to the jack socket) and its 100% fixed no feed back at all. My only dilemma is wether out of principle to return the phone or not? Great site hope this helps some one.PS turning noise reduction of while in call also helps(just press menu while in call and its there). Bye
Hi guys

I got my samsung galaxy s2 a few days ago and I'm having problems with a voice echo. Whenever someone calls me they complain that they can hear their own voice, to the point where I'm being asked to call them back on a different phone.

The problem only happens when I use a phone cover (currently using the Case Mate Tough case). I think it has something to do with the noise reduction, as the problem stops when I turn this off.

Does anyone know if this is normal or if the handset is faulty? I've tried different phone covers but the same thing happens.

I'd love to be able to switch off the noise reduction permanently but there doesn't seem to be this option. :(

Cheers

Upvote 0
I agree we should let them know how they should fix it because at this point they just want to give you a replacement which will not be brand new and more than likely still have the problem. What's more this may affect the warranty which just replaces it with a refurbished phones that probably still has the problem. I chose to apply the fix and my phone is perfect now.

Upvote 0
Hello to everyone having the dreaded echo echo echo!! Sorry about that. I have suffered as everyone else on this forum and have read most of the posts on it. My phone was three weeks old and the echo was doing my friends in. My echo was constant but worse with covers on (I purchased three none solved the problem). I spoke to the T-mobile shop with whom the contract is with and they were very helpful and were of the same opinion as I there was a fault with the phone. As I didn't purchase the phone from them they advised I go back to the people I got the phone from (fair point). Therefore, I contacted Tesco and explained the situation. Again they were fantastic and they sent a replacement phone out immediately. I received it today and hey presto no echo with or without covers!!!! Anyone want to buy any phone covers I have loads !!!!!! :):):):)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones