1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Voice in text to speech

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ozhatch, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Ozhatch

Ozhatch Lurker

My new Samsung Galaxy S4 has a 'mechanical' voice when reading text-to-speech. I would like to change that to match the voice that my old S2 had, which was female, with an English accent.

I downloaded the "Speech Synthesis Data Installer" and set text-to-speech options accordingly. Then I played an example, which sounds perfect. However, when I use speech guidance with, say, Maps, or in the briefing with my alarm, the voice reverts to the 'mechanical' female.

Can someone please suggest a fix?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. johnny_w

johnny_w Well-Known Member

Reading comprehension>Me
    Sorry

3. Ozhatch

Ozhatch Lurker

I'm not sure I understand what you are telling me. Please elucidate.

Thanks.

4. johnny_w

I posted an answer that you already covered in your post. Sorry, it's shorthand from another discussion forum I frequent. It means reading comprehension is greater than me or I failed at reading comprehension.
    I did some poking around in hopes of being able to edit that with useful information and failed miserably. I even tried some suggestions I found and nothing worked.
    Sorry

Ozhatch likes this.
  5. Ozhatch

Ozhatch Lurker

I had an email reply:

"Dear Ozhatch,

johnny_w has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - General Voice in text to speech - in the Samsung Galaxy S4 forum of Android Forums.

This thread is located at:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/875695-voice-in-text-speech-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    Have you tried going to settings> My Device> Accessibility>Text-to-speech options and see what's selected? I use Google text-to-speech engine but perhaps the one you downloaded/installed will be listed."

Done all that, and downloaded the Samsung TTS update. Still no change, except that the 'mechanical' voice is somewhat lower than the earlier version.
    :thinking:

6. johnny_w

Yup, that's where I asked you to do something you had already tried. I'm not sure how I missed it, but I did. On the plus side I now have a snazzy British voice on my phone. I'm not sure when I'll ever hear it, but it's there. I also learned I can change the voice on Waze.
    Sorry for wasting your time.

7. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

maybe try to disable svoice. It may be interfering.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews