• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trooper

Android Expert
Apr 11, 2010
Hi all,

Quick question and I was wondering if its been happening to any of you. When I get a new voice mail, there is no alert appearing at all in the "Messages" app on the home screen. Is there a setting somewhere to fix this or perhaps my voice mail is just hosed?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Update: Ive noticed I've been getting some weird text messages since getting this phone. I did a Google search and found this: Gibberish Text instead of New Voice Mail Notification on TP2 - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe this is my problem?

By messages app you mean the pull down notification bar?

My voicemails come up on the notification bar at the top. I pull down the page and click, and it instantly dials VM.

Either the pull down app, or the app on the HTC home page. Neither report I have a voice mail when I do. Maybe its caused by the link I posted. Will probably have to all Verizon on this one.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to update anyone who may have this problem. It seems that my problem is indeed related to the issue I posted in the link above. Called Verizon today, after about an hour the tech said he had tried a bunch of stuff, but its still happening.

They opened up a ticket. He said it should be resolved today, but may take up to 3-5 days to fix. Never again will I install Visual Voice Mail (which is why I have this issue).

Upvote 0
How exactly does Google voice work? So I would not have to use my Verizon voice mail?

Correct. You would use Google Voice as your voicemail instead. You can either check your voicemail with the Google Voice app or on a website very similar to Gmail. You can also use it to make outgoing phone calls if you want to call internationally for example. If you wanted to you could even use it for incoming calls since you get a whole separate Google Voice phone number.

Possibly my favorite thing is that it makes a written transcript of the messages people leave, so you can still check voicemail even if you can't listen to it. Depending on how clearly the person speaks the transcripts are pretty iffy though - it's still in beta.

Upvote 0
What about Google privacy issues?

Probably a bit more information than you wanted:

Privacy Policy

March 10th, 2009

The Google Privacy Policy describes how we treat personal information when you use Google's products and services, including information provided when you use Google Voice. In addition, the following describes our privacy practices that are specific to Google Voice.

Personal information

You need a Google Account to access Google Voice. Google asks for some personal information when you create a Google Account, including your alternate contact information and a password, which is used to protect your account from unauthorized access. A Google Account allows you to access many of our services that require registration. You will also be asked to choose a Google Voice phone number that will be assigned for your use, and any forwarding telephone numbers that may be used in conjunction with the service.
Google Voice stores, processes and maintains your call history, voicemail greeting(s), voicemail messages, Short Message Service (SMS) messages, recorded conversations, and other data related to your account in order to provide the service to you.
When you use Google Voice, Google's servers automatically record certain information about your use of Google Voice. Similar to other web services, Google Voice records information such as account activity (including storage usage, number of log-ins), data displayed or clicked on (including UI elements, links); and other log information (including browser type, IP-address, date and time of access, cookie ID, and referrer URL). Google's servers also automatically collect telephony log information (including calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information, and types of calls).
Uses

Google maintains and processes your Google Voice account and its contents to provide the Google Voice service to you and to improve our services.
Google's computers process the information in your messages for various purposes, including formatting and displaying the information to you, playing you your messages, backing up your messages, and other purposes relating to offering you Google Voice.
Google may send you information related to your Google Voice account or other Google services.
Voicemail Transcription - if you use Google Voice's voicemail transcription service, Google may transcribe voicemail messages into text and email and/or SMS the resulting text to the email account or phone number(s) designated in your user settings. Google's computers process the information in your messages for various purposes, including formatting and displaying the information to you, delivering related links, backing up your messages, and other purposes relating to offering you Google Voice.
Information sharing and onward transfer

We do not sell, rent or otherwise share your personal information with any third parties except in the limited circumstances described in the Google Privacy Policy, such as when we believe we are required to do so by law.
Your choices

You may change your Google Voice account settings and you may upgrade or downgrade your account through the "settings" section.
You may organize or delete your call history, voicemail greeting(s), voicemail messages (both audio and/or transcriptions), Short Message Service (SMS) messages, and recorded conversations through your Google Voice account or terminate your account through the Google Account section of Google Voice settings. Such deletions or terminations will take immediate effect in your account view. Residual copies of deleted data and accounts may take up to 90 days to be deleted from our active servers and may remain in our offline backup systems. Call history for billable calls will remain visible on your account and be retained in Google systems for accounting purposes. Call history for billable calls will be retained in Google systems for accounting purposes.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up. Will think about it, but then again I don't have an invite.

Update on my situation. I've been on the phone with Verizon another 3 times. After explaining the deal to someone from Verizon who seems to know what they are doing, it turns out that check this out. I have two voice mail accounts. One is corrupted, and the other one is not.

So after numerous phone calls today and finally getting and engineer who knows what they were doing, the situation seems to finally be resolved!

EDIT: The only thing that seems weird, is that they had to take my phone off the network for awhile while testing. After they added it back, my 3G speeds are about half of what they were. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing or just congestion in my area today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones