• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice Mail Dialer Question

On my DINC I had an entry in my contacts list that contained *86 followd by a comma (Pause) and then my 5 digit Voice Mail password. Today I tried to use that entry on my Razr M to listen to a voice mail message. It seemed to dial voice mail but it didn't send my password at the appropriate point. I tried to find how to set this up in the doc but coudn't seemed to find anything about how to set this up on the Razr M. Can anyone help me what is wrong with my current entry and what I need to do to fix this?

That's what I was referring to, my own contact for voice mail which is called VoiceMailPlus. This entry in contacts contained *86,xxxxx where xxxxx is my voice mail password. On my old Incredible it would dial voicemail and the comma created a delay before sending the password. On my Razr M this doesn't seem to be working.

Upvote 0
OK. I went to my local Verizon Store this morning and I got an answer to my question about how to add my password to my VoiceMail entry in my contacts.

First the rep told me that I shouldn't have a separate voicemail entry in my contacts list, that I sould add the password to the default voicemail entry that comes with the phone. This was different than my HTC Incredible but I told the rep that I had tried to add the password to the default entry and that the phone wouldn't let me. She then informed me that on the newer Android phones the procedure to do that was a bit convoluted. Anyway, here's what the rep told me to do.

1. Click on the Dialer soft key on the home screen and dial *86 but don't press the dial button.
  2. Press the menu (3 virticle dots) button and then select Settings.
  3. From Settings select VoiceMail, then Setup and then Voice Mail Number.
  4. Once you are in VoiceMail Number the I-Bar will be positioned in the number field and you can then move it after the 6 and enter two pauses and your password.
  5. After you have done that press the OK button and your good to go.
Pretty simple when you know what to do but even the rep had to look it up on Verizon's own technical pages.

Hope this helps some other lost soul.

Upvote 0
OK. I went to my local Verizon Store this morning and I got an answer to my question about how to add my password to my VoiceMail entry in my contacts.

First the rep told me that I shouldn't have a separate voicemail entry in my contacts list, that I sould add the password to the default voicemail entry that comes with the phone. This was different than my HTC Incredible but I told the rep that I had tried to add the password to the default entry and that the phone wouldn't let me. She then informed me that on the newer Android phones the procedure to do that was a bit convoluted. Anyway, here's what the rep told me to do.

1. Click on the Dialer soft key on the home screen and dial *86 but don't press the dial button.
  2. Press the menu (3 virticle dots) button and then select Settings.
  3. From Settings select VoiceMail, then Setup and then Voice Mail Number.
  4. Once you are in VoiceMail Number the I-Bar will be positioned in the number field and you can then move it after the 6 and enter two pauses and your password.
  5. After you have done that press the OK button and your good to go.
Pretty simple when you know what to do but even the rep had to look it up on Verizon's own technical pages.

Hope this helps some other lost soul.

I had to do a factory reset and had problems adding my password again. I followed these steps and everything worked fine. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones