1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Voice Mail Password will not work!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Zoandroid, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    I have a Droid X rooted, running GB.650 with CM7 ROM. No other issues that I am aware of, but for some reason I can't access my voice mail on Verizon. It says my password is incorrect. I even went onto my Verizon account online and "successfully" changed the password 5 different times, but it still won't work. I tried letting their website generate a new password. No dice. I tried calling *228 and "activating" the DX again, then rebooted. Still no dice.

I found no other posting with this kind of issue on here. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? I don't want to call their tech support, with my DX being rooted and running CM7. ;) I know they'll expect a "factory reset" to solve everything, and obviously that isn't going to help here.

Edit: The plot thickens. I also can't make outbound calls! I think I know why. Earlier today I had been trying to use Titanium Backup to restore the Verizon Visual Voice Mail (VVM) app from a backup I made of the rooted GB stock ROM before I flashed CM7. I was never successful in the attempt, and TIBU would just keep spinning its circle endlessly, so I had to force it to close. I'll bet I hosed some portion of the voice functions on the phone, and maybe even the way the keypad is read when dialing.

So I am going to restore my nandroid made last Saturday night before I got into all this. Hopefully that will put me back to where I had a functional phone (without VVM).

Edit 2: With the nandroid restored, I can now make and receive calls OK except when I dial *86 I get a "can't connect your call" recording. This is likely because I had also been trying to set up Google Voice to use as a voice mail service when I was having the above issues, and in the process it had me dial a number which sends "special codes" to my phone, which likely locks me out of Verizon's voice mail and sends it over to Google Voice. So I need to find the codes to undo that. I saw them somewhere today while researching Google Voice. I just need to look through my browser history to find them again.

Advertisement

2. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    Here's the site with the information for setting up Google Voice (but this dialog was in 2009, so some things may have changed):

https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/getting-started--tips--tricks/lF-lfjODvhA[​IMG]

They list the codes for activating and de-activating the switch to using Google Voice as your voice mail service. The codes must be dialed from the phone you are setting up, and if there are multiple codes, you must place the dialed "call" for EACH code. For example, to de-activate on Verizon CDMA, I had to send

then
    and then

This worked, and I am back able to dial *86 again without getting the "cannot connect your call" recording. However, it STILL will not accept my password that I know for certain is what I just used when I was on the Verizon site and reset it.

So, I decided to take a closer look at Google Voice, and went to their website. The link I posted above is from a 2009 forum. The info on the Google Voice site now seems to have become more streamlined, and I was able to set it up as my voice mail service for the DX, and tested it to make sure it works. :)