1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Voice of "Google Now"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shalemail, Nov 5, 2014.

1. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

I have a question for the early adopters.

Can you chance the voice that your Moto X uses to respond to you?

Example, I have in the past changed the voice on my Google navigation with Android, but have never tried with my Moto, and I know it's different with the 2014 model anyway.

I read stories that people were calling it Jarvis instead of "ok Google" so isn't it weird that you would say "Hey Jarvis" and have the annoying female voice that is standard?

Anyway, is it possible to change it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Just tried to test this for ya but I wasnt able to change Google Now's voice or tho "Moto" voice (sounds the same as GN) at all. I tried changing them in voice output in the main settings of the phone.

How did you do it on your last phone?

/OK Jarvis was also an old easter egg too I think.

3. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

On my Atrix, in the main settings (probably same place you looked) I was able to substitute a 3rd party app (I forget the name now) that allowed you to choose from a number of both free and pay voices.

I used a British female voice. but that was for navigation and really nothing else

4. alostpacket

Yeah I tried one of the Play store apps too, I think it was a Pico TTS based thing...not sure. Anyways that didnt work either, it didnt change the GN voice either.

I did manage to find there is a Google keyboard of pure emoji you can download though -- so, that's kinda awesome :D

5. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

So share the love bro, whats the link to said emoji keyboard?

6. alostpacket

I was just able to select it as an input "iWnn IME" in the phone settings. I think they are the same emoji you get with the regular Google Keyboard though, just better organized.

7. alostpacket

Hey so, I just noticed this finally worked. Maybe I had to restart the phone or Google now, but I had changed my voice to the British lady yesterday and didn't notice until today when it spoke to me with a funny accent!

So I guess this does work after all!

shalemail likes this.
  8. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

That's awesome news! I would like to make my catch phrase something like "Ok Alfred" - yea I'm a Batman geek so what? So a British MALE voice would be awesome. :rolleyes:

Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) release date was September 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2300mAh battery.

September 2014
Release Date
Reviews