1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

voice ok google

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by nikkimotog, Oct 7, 2014.

1. nikkimotog

nikkimotog Lurker

Hi. I have searched high and low for an answer. Maybe im not wording my question properly. I dont understand what commands need network or wifi or internet or whatever the name is to connect. I have a simple plan with no data. I connect with wifi at home. My ok google works only to make calls. I cant seem to set alarm or timer vocally. It wont put something on a calendar. It does.not seem to even play music. Is it because im not online or something else. Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nikkimotog

nikkimotog Lurker

No one. Can someone at least give me ideas on what key words to use to search. I have read everything i can from google. There is no mention of even needing to be online.

3. saptech

saptech Android Expert

Did you fine tune it in the Search Settings? I'm not sure if you need internet access for it to work or not. I should be able to try it in the morning with no internet access.

4. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Hi nikkimotog, welcome to Android Forums.

Yes, as far as I am aware, for all but straight forward calling, you do require an internet connection. It is certainly the case on my HTC One although I do have English US (pre-installed) and English UK (downloaded) as offline languages but I have yet to discover the relevance of this.

You might find the following link useful :-

List of Google Now voice commands

eg. "Set alarm for 8.0 am" works, as does "Set timer for 30 seconds", "open maps", "what time is it" etc.

In fact, as long as you have an internet connection, you should be able to try anything you like and see if you get a response.

For calling without a data connection mine will respond ok if I say "call" followed by a telephone number, but can struggle with calls from my contact list if there are similar names.

Hope this helps.

:)

codesplice likes this.
  5. sleeco

sleeco Well-Known Member

Hi, try resetting voice recognition

6. nikkimotog

nikkimotog Lurker

Thanks. I guess it really needs an internet connection for anything except call. Even the call command if there are 2 numbers to thag contact and i am offline it does not let me say ok google maine. I have to say it in my first command. Example. Call marie maine number. I thibk its a way for google to simply keep tabs. I mean placing an event on calendar or timer or alarm should not need the internet. It does come in handy when im driving though!!!

7. oleb84

oleb84 Android Enthusiast

You 100% have to have an active internet connection. Simple as that.