• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice Recognition Question

ChTidio

Feb 11, 2011
The voice recognition (and voice-to-text) on the EVO Shit is great. I've started and given up with Dragon Naturally speaking many times over the last few years, but the system on this phone is great. I like using it to compose text messages, but I don't know how to activate it at will. I use it all the time when the phone is off and I receive a text message. The response panel appears on the screen and one of the icons is the microphone which lets me compose a response. However, If I am in the texting program and want to compose a message by speaking into the phone, I cannot find the "microphone" icon, to invoke that mode, anywhere :-(

Thanks, but unless I am totally misunderstanding your response, that's not what I was looking to do. I know how to add a shortcut for an application to one of my screens, but I was not looking for "Voice Search". Sure I can add that. But, I was looking for the capability of adding voice-to-text to the choice of input options when I, for example, am composing a text message.

Upvote 0
When you open voice search, one of the things it allows you to do is Voice-to-Text. So you open it and then follow the directions to speak a text message. Is that not what you were trying to do? Speak a text message?

I don't think there is a way to get to the Voice Search when you are in text messaging, you have to open Voice Search first and speak your text message there.

Reactions: ChTidio
Upvote 0
i'm not following i think...either that or i'm just confused because my shift has the microphone icon on every keyboard installed on the phone, even Swype.

I'm blown away by the accuracy of the voice recog on the shift...things have come a LONG way. so far, i've composed texts, sent corporate email, dialed the wife, searched for a restaurant, and then navigated the restaurant all by voice...Top Notch Work HTC!

Upvote 0
Yeah, you first have to touch the screen in the area where you would type your response. That opens up the on-screen keyboard, and the microphone icon is right there as one of the keys on the on-screen keyboard. This is true for the built-in on-screen keyboard and Swype, and I'm pretty sure for any other keyboard app as well.

But again, the key is to first get that onscreen keyboard to show up by tapping in the response area. Then you'll see the microphone button you're looking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones