• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice Search not consistent

srad2drag

Apr 22, 2012
NC
There's been something I have been noticing for a couple of weeks. Every now and then my google search will not work. Its sporadic and I havent added any other apps that I think would conflict with it working.
What happens is when I touch the mic, the screen will say initializing and the mic will never turn red. After I press the back button the screen will say speak. If I restart my phone this will cure it for awhile, then it happens again. Is anyone else experiencing this?

There's been something I have been noticing for a couple of weeks. Every now and then my google search will not work. Its sporadic and I havent added any other apps that I think would conflict with it working.
What happens is when I touch the mic, the screen will say initializing and the mic will never turn red. After I press the back button the screen will say speak. If I restart my phone this will cure it for awhile, then it happens again. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Subscribed to this post. ..mine is the same! Even the same thing with dolphin browser.

Upvote 0
I have confirmed that it happens on mine when I am driving and my bluetooth is hooked up to my car. If I turn bluetooth off, Voice works fine.

I guess it is a bug.

I have 2 bluetooth head sets and one works with the phone with no problems however the newer bluetooth causes the issues mentioned above. This was confusing me because as I said it was intermittent. I'm glad I now know what this is. I was beginning to think my phone was faulty.
Thanks for your input

Upvote 0
Here we go...bluetooth causes an interference with Voice commands, notably on Google Voice, speech-to-text (like text messaging), or S-Voice. This is clearly a bug.

My setup: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running Android 4.1.1 (JellyBean), Bluetooth headset RF-MAB2 (supports HSP, HFP, A2DP, AVRCR, and Bluetooth 2.1)

There are two known workarounds for these bugs:

1. Hit the volume up or down button (only one click needed) on the phone (not from the bluetooth headset). Yes, it should be totally un-necessary, but it does work--magically, the microphone will pulse again with life and the Note 2 will take input from your bluetooth. This works for Speech-to-Text, Google Voice, and S-Voice. Kudos to Renthorin in this thread.

2. Activate Touch Sounds (Settings->Device->Sound->System->Touch sounds). This adds a(n annoying) "beep" when making any selection on a screen. This only works for Google Voice (headset fully enabled). For me, it does not fix the other two issues. Credit to topshelf95 in this thread

Please visit: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35737, register, and STAR the issue. It is currently about 140th on the list of most squawked items (234 stars). If we can get more people to star it, it will move up the ranks and hopefully get fixed sooner than later.

HTH.

* ijhutch *
Original thread of mine that went unanswered with lots of screenshots

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones