• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice Search not working as expected/Not same as Motorola Droid

packetdog

Lurker
Mar 10, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a Samsung Mesmerize, and I'm having issues with the Voice Search function. I am unable to use it to call contacts, or call local businesses as I can on my Motorola Droid. Let me give you some examples:

<Press Voice Search App, wait for prompt> say Call Nancy Waters Mobile
(This calls contact Nancy Waters at the Mobile #)

<Press Voice Search App, wait for prompt> say Call Best Buy Janesville Wisconsin
(This Google Searches the Number for Best Buy in Janesville, WI, and Displays it, and calls it automatically.)

<Press Voice Search App, wait for prompt> say Call Voicemail
(obviously, this dials voicemail)

All of these work flawlessly on the Droid. On the Mesmerize, all of the spoken words are entered into a Google Search. It literally says, "Call Nancy Waters Mobile" in the browser w/ Google Search results.

I've verified the Settings > Search > Searchable Items dialog, all are checked. One note: the Web checkbox that I have on the Droid is not present on the Mesmerize. Clearly Voice Search DOES search the web since no matter what I say gets correctly recognized and websearched. I'm not sure what else to do to rectify this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-pd

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones