1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Voice & Text OK, but no data connection

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JPL42, Dec 19, 2013.

1. JPL42

JPL42 Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2013
    Software developer
    Toronto
    I just acquired an unlocked T-Mobile Gravity Smart and installed the Mobilicity SIM. The phone works fine for voice calls and text messages but will not get a data connection, even after I enabled it. Here's what I tried so far, per the user manual:

1. Cleared the Use Packet Data checkbox.
    2. Selected Network Operators->Default Setup->Manual.
    3. After the search completed, I selected Mobilicity from the list. The "Registered" message appeared briefly then it returned to the Network Operators menu.
    4. Checked the Use Packet Data checkbox.
    After I completed these steps I still did not have a data connection; the 3G indicator did not appear in the status bar and the browser could not find any websites.

I also tried to select "Use Data Roaming" but it had no effect. I suspect that it's still looking for the T-Mobile network. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    The network it's looking for is the one the SIM card tells it to look for. I suspect one of two things - TMobile and Mobilicity use different frequencies for 3G/4G or your account is misprovisioned. (Assuming the phone isn't just broken.) Call Mobilicity tech support for assistance.

3. JPL42

JPL42 Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2013
    Software developer
    Toronto
    I know the account is fine as it works with my old phone. T-Mobile and Mobilicity use the same frequency bands (it's a well-known issue in Canada). Because the SIM card is from Mobilicity it makes sense that auto-selection should work. I'll hack some more and follow up with my carrier.

BTW thanks for responding so quickly :-D

4. JPL42

JPL42 Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2013
    Software developer
    Toronto
    Turned out to be a config issue. Since the APNs were set up properly everything works fine.:eek: