• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice & Text OK, but no data connection

I just acquired an unlocked T-Mobile Gravity Smart and installed the Mobilicity SIM. The phone works fine for voice calls and text messages but will not get a data connection, even after I enabled it. Here's what I tried so far, per the user manual:

1. Cleared the Use Packet Data checkbox.
  2. Selected Network Operators->Default Setup->Manual.
  3. After the search completed, I selected Mobilicity from the list. The "Registered" message appeared briefly then it returned to the Network Operators menu.
  4. Checked the Use Packet Data checkbox.
After I completed these steps I still did not have a data connection; the 3G indicator did not appear in the status bar and the browser could not find any websites.

I also tried to select "Use Data Roaming" but it had no effect. I suspect that it's still looking for the T-Mobile network. Any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones