1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Voice to Text Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sawoski5, Jan 2, 2019.

1. sawoski5

sawoski5 Lurker

I have a Galaxy Note 4 phone with T-mobile. ThIs is an issue that occurs specifically when I am dictating using the keyboard microphone while texting or using the Amazon shopping app. It doesn't seem to occur when do a Google search. The issue is that I dictate 5 or 6 words and am still talking but the phone stops typing and the microphone seems to cut off. I still have the green button on telling me to tap if I want to pause (as if I can still continue speaking and have it type what I am saying), but speaking does not cause any additional words to be typed. Hitting the green button to pause and restarting it doesn't seem to help either. I've tried checking for software updates and the system says I'm completely updated. Also have gone through most of the settings both on the phone and the Amazon app (including reinstalling it) and nothing seems to help. One additional point - I seem to recall installing Google Home (a mini) around the time that this issue started (I also uninstalled and reinstalled that and it didn't help). Any suggestions?

#1 sawoski5, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Which keyboard are you using? If it only happens when you are using the voice recognition on the keyboard, I would look there first. Since you said it works with Google search, I'd try using gboard which uses the same speech to text engine as search.

3. sawoski5

sawoski5 Lurker

Gave it a shot. Still having the same issue, although I do like the keyboard. Thanks for the suggestion though!

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Hmmm. I sometimes get spotty recognition when my data connection is slow or flaky. All that happens on the server side so you have to be able to upload the sound bite to Google before it can process it.

There can also be some device confusion ... I have a smart watch, my phone and a Google mini in my home office and if I say "okay Google" I'm never quite sure which one will wake up first, although no matter which one answers, it usually hears the whole question and responds accordingly.

5. sawoski5

sawoski5 Lurker

Still unresolved. Anyone else have any suggestions?

6. sawoski5

sawoski5 Lurker

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews