1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Voice to text only working when on wifi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hitman88, Aug 16, 2012.

1. hitman88

hitman88 Lurker

When I try to use voice to text when on 3g it will give me a connection problem, so it will never work while driving. As soon as I am on wifi it will start working again. Im running stock ICS 4.0.1 and its the same issue when trying it in the stock messaging app or in whats app. Any ideas how to fix it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

I just noticed this today on mine, and I'm running a custom rom with custom gapps.

My 4G connection is rock solid here, but voice to text with it enabled is sluggish and jerky. Never noticed this before because normally at home I'm using WiFi, which it runs very smooth on.

No idea how to fix it, but wanted you to know you're not alone.

3. hitman88

hitman88 Lurker

Yah it's werid why this feature even requires an internet connection in the first place.

4. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

Google added offline transcription to 4.1. By the way, why are you still running 4.0.1?

5. hitman88

hitman88 Lurker

Cuz I'm in Canada and haven't received the OTA update from my carrier and I dont want to root my phone.

6. jbarhorst2

jbarhorst2 Newbie

After disconnecting from wifi, try cycling mobile data off then back on. It should then work until you connect to wifi again. The Nexus does a poor job of switching back to mobile data.

7. hitman88

hitman88 Lurker

Tried that but it still doesn't work, the data is working cuz i can still browse.

8. rmae

rmae Lurker

I had the same problem and this fixed it. Go to Settings->More->Usage->Voice Search. UNcheck "restrict background data". When checked it "disables background data on mobile data network only. WiFi will be used if available". Hope this helps you.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews