1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

voicemail/answerphone and Caller ID

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by upalm, Jul 10, 2011.

1. upalm

upalm Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    hello
    i just joined the forum. i have an LG Optimus phone and i'm in canada where the provider charges me monthly for features such as voicemail and caller ID. are there any GOOD apps that will really work on my phone for voicemail and caller ID? i tried one the other day and it didn't work well and crashed. bottom line is i don't want to pay monthly if i can get apps to do the same job. however am happy to pay a one-time fee if the apps cost $$. am using android v 2.2.1.
    thanks
    uli

Advertisement

2. melissapugs

melissapugs Android Enthusiast
    None

I found out (the same way you did) that on Virgin Mobile there is no option for the provider to forward your number - that includes options to forward info to voicemail or temporarily forward to another number. It depends on what your carrier allows for forwarding - if they won't do it, they won't do it. Check out the forum for your provider.

3. upalm

upalm Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    thanks melissapugs. i'm on koodo provider and i can forward calls from my phone. what i really want is to "forward" a call to a voicemail app on my actual phone. i also want the incoming call to be ID'd.

4. melissapugs

melissapugs Android Enthusiast
    None

Gotcha. In that case I've heard wonderful things about Youmail - there also look to be more than a few equivalents on the market.

5. upalm

upalm Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    thanks for the tip. will check out youmail.

6. iynCognito

iynCognito Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Hullomail is a great voicemail app. if you use gmail as well then it id absolutely brilliant.it essentially also saves your voicemails as mp3 files and sends them to your gmail account. You can keep your voicemails for as long as you want, you can forward them to other people, you can also post them on facebook. It is free. The cost of forwarding the call to voicemail should just come out of your inclusive minutes. You can access your voicemails through the app, and so use data. Or you can call to pick up your voicemails. Or you can check then on your email.

Have used it for ages. Try it!

7. wyelkins

wyelkins Android Expert
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    Financial Services
    Savannah, GA
    The apps previously mentioned may be better, IDK. But, I use Google Voice although it does not work with all providers, it is worth looking at. It will also send an mp3 of your voicemail to your email inbox and it will attempt voice to text on the message although it is not always very good. Some other neat features too.

8. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    You don't want a voicemail app. If your phone has no coverage or is turned off you won't have voicemail.

You need a voicemail service such as Youmail, Google Voice, etc. It's the same way carriers handle voicemail. Carrier voicemail isn't a feature of the phone but a service offered by the carrier. If your phone is unreachable then calls are directed to their voicemail system (why all phones on the same carrier using carrier voicemail have the same voicemail system regardless of device make/model).

As for caller ID apps, just be aware that they'll require data and won't work without it.

9. iynCognito

iynCognito Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Yes, hullomail works this way too.