• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

voicemail notification dot doesn't work

coyote2

Jan 4, 2019
I tried enabling notification dots everywhere I googled about but they aren't working.

Moto G7, Android 9.

Is this normal (I'm a smartphone noob).

If I call on another phone and leave a message (after hitting the decline button) the notification dot never appears...but if I click to open the default Google Phone app it does show a voicemail notification count.

Ditto if the phone is off when the voicemail is sent (usually; one time out of ten tries so far there was a dot after starting the phone if I left a test voicemail while it was off). When the phone is on (and call declined and test voicemail left) sometimes (though mostly not) I hear a notification sound (but I'm just starting to learn to use the phone so sorry I have no idea whether the notification sound was about the new voicemail).

On the Moto forum I saw someone eventually give up and try the Notifier app; is that what I must do too if I want notification dots (and, hopefully, counters in the dots) to work, please?

I see that my Gmail icon does have a notification dot (without a counter), so perhaps if I start testing it I'd find Gmail notification is working (but just counter-lessly).

*including at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Force/Notification-Dots-not-working/m-p/3985771

I'm happy that cdysthe replied; this has reminded me that I failed to followup. Here's what I did to resolve my issue:

I installed Action Launcher v46.0
A few times since the dots (with counter inside them) have stopped working. All but once all I had to do was to toggle the dot setting off/on. The other time (last week now running Android 10) that didn't immediately work; after more toggling and rebooting, the dot/counters came back thankfully.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones