1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

voicemail notification dot doesn't work

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by coyote2, May 16, 2019.

1. coyote2

coyote2 Newbie

I tried enabling notification dots everywhere I googled about but they aren't working.

Moto G7, Android 9.

Is this normal (I'm a smartphone noob).

If I call on another phone and leave a message (after hitting the decline button) the notification dot never appears...but if I click to open the default Google Phone app it does show a voicemail notification count.

Ditto if the phone is off when the voicemail is sent (usually; one time out of ten tries so far there was a dot after starting the phone if I left a test voicemail while it was off). When the phone is on (and call declined and test voicemail left) sometimes (though mostly not) I hear a notification sound (but I'm just starting to learn to use the phone so sorry I have no idea whether the notification sound was about the new voicemail).

On the Moto forum I saw someone eventually give up and try the Notifier app; is that what I must do too if I want notification dots (and, hopefully, counters in the dots) to work, please?

I see that my Gmail icon does have a notification dot (without a counter), so perhaps if I start testing it I'd find Gmail notification is working (but just counter-lessly).

*including at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Force/Notification-Dots-not-working/m-p/3985771

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sorry I had to reply to OP instead of the person who replied with the unhelpful comment:
    PEOPLE! READ THE POST! Stop telling people to try things they already tried!

3. cdysthe

cdysthe Member

I am having the same problem on my G7. Never gotten VM notification to work! When the phone boots I see the voicemail notification icon flash on and off for a second or two, then never again. Very annoying. Would be great with a solution. I'm now in Android 10 but the problem remains.

4. coyote2

coyote2 Newbie

I'm happy that cdysthe replied; this has reminded me that I failed to followup. Here's what I did to resolve my issue:

I installed Action Launcher v46.0
    A few times since the dots (with counter inside them) have stopped working. All but once all I had to do was to toggle the dot setting off/on. The other time (last week now running Android 10) that didn't immediately work; after more toggling and rebooting, the dot/counters came back thankfully.

moto g(7) Forum

The moto g(7) release date was March 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.2" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 632 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2019
Release Date
Reviews