1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Voicemail on V40 (unlocked)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Alan Wechsler, May 9, 2020.

1. Alan Wechsler

Alan Wechsler Lurker

Has anyone been able to get visual voicemail (or similar) on an unlocked V40? I just bought a new one and from what I can see the only option for VM is to press 1 on the keypad and go through all the "you have received a call on..." nonsense that sounds like it's from a 1998 office VM system. I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon with no luck, and I found an online discussion that seemed to indicate that Verizon does not allow unlocked phones to have a VM app. I certainly couldn't find anything in the online app store. Very annoying -- feel like I may have to change providers in order to get a decent VM system. What are other people with unlocked phones seeing, and is there any option for a VM system before I ditch Verizon? Thanks.

2. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I can't say, for sure, but you should be able to find out by checking your Verizon account and checking the availability in the Apps and Services section.
    I do know that on my old phone, Samsung S5, when I swapped out the SIM card, Verizon downloaded and installed voicemail on it.

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Some carriers use a voice mail app, some just use a phone number that you dial.... Keep that in mind, depending on your carrier

4. Mackey69

Mackey69 Member

I had the same problem with an unlocked LG G6+ and never could get it to work. No problem with unlocked Moto or Pixels but just LG. Ridiculous and one of the reasons I returned it and won't buy another unlocked LG phone.

Dannydet likes this.
  5. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I keep getting messages from Verizon, every time I don't answer a call, offering Visual voice mail for a fee. I block 98% of the spam calls and I kept getting that message. So I turned off all voice mail but they must have it since they kept wanting me to buy it.

6. Alan Wechsler

Alan Wechsler Lurker

Was hoping to find a free VM app. My last phone (Galaxy 7) had VM with no fee, it was just there when I bought the phone. But that was a Verizon phone, not an unlocked one.

7. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

If you don't care about the visual part, Verizon does have a free Voicemail app. To adjust the settings, you have to use a computer and sign on to your Verizon account.

PitCarver and Dannydet like this.
  8. Alan Wechsler

Alan Wechsler Lurker

Yeah, I tried to get the Verizon VM app but the guy at the Verizon store said my phone couldn't use it. Looked in the app store and did not see a Verizon app for VM. Lots of other VM apps, but they don't work.

9. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

Their voice mail app isn't on our phone, it's on their server. Just dial *86 on your phone and follow the prompts.

Dannydet likes this.
  10. Alan Wechsler

Alan Wechsler Lurker

Yeah, I found that one, but I'm trying to find a better solution that will allow me to select messages without having to listen to their late 1990s-era system. My old phone showed me the messages and I could just select whichever one I wanted to listen to, rather than having to punch in numbers and listen to info I don't need to know, like how long the message is.

11. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

Well, I think you're out of luck. But I agree with you so I just turn off their voicemail. Unfortunately, it doesn't stay turned off so I have to go back every few months to shut it off again & again & again & again, you get the meaning.

12. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Another option is to use Youmail, which is a free voice mail and call blocker that I use.

markdoc likes this.
  13. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I don't understand why your phone is excluded. Verizon VM is installed on mine and if I want messages transcribed, I have the option to upgrade to their Visual VM.

LG V40 ThinQ Forum

The LG V40 ThinQ release date was October 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

October 2018
Release Date
Reviews