1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Voiding Warranty on Refurbished Evo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by htc4life, Jun 7, 2011.

1. htc4life

htc4life Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    I bought a refurbished Evo 4g a little over a month ago along with sprints $7/month warranty (the sprint store was selling them to people with a new contract or if your 2 years were up). Last night I dropped the phone and the whole screen cracked..so now I have to deal with their insurance company and pay a $100 deductible.

I suppose my question is: If I buy a digitizer screen and replace it myself (only $23) , does that void any kind of warranty that anyone here knows of? It's past 30 days of purchase and it's refurbished..since it was taken apart by the manufacturer can they even tell if I open up my phone? Will my sprint extended warranty (the $7/month one) still be valid?

Thanks for any replies!

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    The explanation I have received repeatedly from sprint stores is that the full insurance covers anything...

keep in mind warranty and insurance are two different things. while yes, you would void your warranty (assuming they can tell you were inside of it, my refurb all of the markers were gone) but you would still be covered under the warranty.

have you attempted taking it in to a repair store. alot of times they will replace the screen on an insured phone at no charge.

3. htc4life

htc4life Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    I didn't take it to the store..it's a 20 minute drive out there so I called first and he told me I have to call the insurance company and go through them and that they can't do anything/fix it there at the store.

Tags: