1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

VOIP on Rogers

Discussion in 'Rogers' started by jeremy1216, Feb 16, 2010.

1. jeremy1216

jeremy1216 Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Canada
    Can someone using Rogers confirm this with me? I use Fring on my Magic to make long distance call via Skype out. It only works on wifi before but I can use it today on the Rogers 3G network. Not sure Rogers finally removed the block for the VOIP call on their data network. I am glad to see the change :)

Advertisement

2. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

They removed the port block a while back. You can also use an alternate port (not sure about fring but other apps have the option) just in case you call from an area with a block. Latency and jitter is much worse over 3G as there is no QOS and R doesn't go out of their way to allow a voip call to flow smoothly but it generally works.

What I do is to set the SIP app as the default dialer but only start it when I need it so that normal cell is used most of the time. For SIP inbound calls I have the SIP account at the server end set to simul ring my cell. I usually give out my SIP number to people so that I can get calls on any number from any phone. That allows me to give out alternate numbers and even a toll free number to people and I can still take/make calls from the cell. Kinda like google voice yet better. :)