1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General VOIP/SIP calling

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by avalpert, Aug 19, 2011.

1. avalpert

avalpert Newbie
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    Hi, I'm probably moving to and Android phone on Sprint from a BB on AT&T and have narrowed it down to the Nexus S 4g and Motorola Photon (and maybe the Epic).

One thing I am trying to understand is how Voip works over wifi on the Nexus. Particularly, would I be able to use the SIP settings from my home voip provider as I would with any other softphone and make calls over wifi (from anywhere) without having to use Sprint minutes or pay sprint international roaming?

AT&T doesn't allow this to work on BB on their network but with them I just buy a local sim card. The Photon would allow me to do that, but if I can make wifi calls with the Nexus it would serve the same purpose for me to the extent I make calls internationally.

Any experiences with this is appreciated (and any other general comments on choosing between the three phones is acceptable too).

Thanks

Advertisement

2. NOMster

NOMster Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    GA
    You should be able to set it up using your home phone info. I use a pbxes account but my understanding is that it works the same way

3. micahdiablo

micahdiablo Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Colton, CA
    What exactly is SIP calling?
    Is it like Tmobile's wifi calling?

4. avalpert

avalpert Newbie
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    SIP is a protocol for voice of internet protocol (VOIP) services that many use as there home phone service (like vonage or in my case voipo). If I can use the phone as a softphone for that service with wifi access I can use it internationally as if I was in the US.

5. the1who

the1who Well-Known Member
    None

May 26, 2010
    Avionics Tech
    Kansas
    Are there any services out there, aside from Vonage, that would allow calling with phone over WiFi? Would it take the cell off the network like I had experience with on the Vibrant and WiFi calling there? Just looking for ways to extend battery life, one by not relying on the cell network in a building.

6. NOMster

NOMster Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    GA
    Use grooveIP. Its 4 bucks on the market but then you don't have to worry about a 3rd party setup or account. Well except for Google voice.

Tags: