• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Volume controls on wired headphones?

blenky

Android Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2012
Hove, UK
My previous phone was an S3 and the supplied Samsung earphones had volume controls as well as a pause button.

The ones that came with my M8 only have a pause\next button?

I tried my Samsung ear phones in the M8 but the volume buttons just pause the audio!

Do volume buttons not work on wired earphones on the M8?

In the past, HTC Phones have never really cooperated very well with in line controls. I fear that the M8 is no different and that any functionality beyond pause/next (answer/hang-up/redial, etc.) is essentially lost on Sense. :(
They added the pause/next button functionality into Sense with a prior device since the HTC provided headphones featured that button.
The advice I would give is to Tell HTC what new features you would like to see integrated in the future.
They are reactive rather than proactive and seem to respond best to requests that are repeatedly asked for, or not at all.

Unfortunately, if you were able to have any success currently it would probably be through a third party media player, application, or ROM, that lets you customize the live control schemes. I wish I had a good suggestion but I'm not really up on that sort of thing.

Upvote 0
In the past, HTC Phones have never really cooperated very well with in line controls. I fear that the M8 is no different and that any functionality beyond pause/next (answer/hang-up/redial, etc.) is essentially lost on Sense. :(
They added the pause/next button functionality into Sense with a prior device since the HTC provided headphones featured that button.
The advice I would give is to Tell HTC what new features you would like to see integrated in the future.
They are reactive rather than proactive and seem to respond best to requests that are repeatedly asked for, or not at all.

Unfortunately, if you were able to have any success currently it would probably be through a third party media player, application, or ROM, that lets you customize the live control schemes. I wish I had a good suggestion but I'm not really up on that sort of thing.

Thanks for that!

I've followed the link and raised the issue with HTC.

Its a bit pants that there is such a limitation with wired earphones :(.

Although not a major issue as I use bluetooth headphones most of the time which work just fine.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Thanks for that!

I've followed the link and raised the issue with HTC.

Its a bit pants that there is such a limitation with wired earphones :(.

Although not a major issue as I use bluetooth headphones most of the time which work just fine.

I have a pair of these:

Jaybird: Bluetooth Headphones, Bluetooth Headset, Bluetooth Earbuds, Bluebuds x

Got both volume & track skip.If need be,I can swing by a VZW store today/tomorrow & see if both functions work.

I realize the OP centered on plug-in/3.5mm sets,but,I'm willing to check this out if necessary,as I'm dropping by T-Mobile (on Friday) to thoroughly test drive an M8 anyway,I can still check this out before then...

Upvote 0
I emailed HTC and got the following reply.

"Thank you for contacting HTC regarding your HTC One M8, My name is Shai and I am a Technical Support Agent for the HTC Written Team.

HTC strives to take this feedback in mind for new updates and products so I will gladly submit a feature request in your name to give more weight to your request and hopefully this will change again in future updates.

In the meantime I believe 3rd party apps for volume control can be found in the Play Store as a temporary solution.

Have a lovely day and thanks again for your Email"

Upvote 0
I have a pair of these:

Jaybird: Bluetooth Headphones, Bluetooth Headset, Bluetooth Earbuds, Bluebuds x

Got both volume & track skip.If need be,I can swing by a VZW store today/tomorrow & see if both functions work.

I realize the OP centered on plug-in/3.5mm sets,but,I'm willing to check this out if necessary,as I'm dropping by T-Mobile (on Friday) to thoroughly test drive an M8 anyway,I can still check this out before then...

Hi,
did you have the time to check if the "Jaybird: Bluetooth Headphones, Bluetooth Headset, Bluetooth Earbuds, Bluebuds x" can control the volium Up And Down of the HTC M8?

thank you

Upvote 0
My previous phone was an S3 and the supplied Samsung earphones had volume controls as well as a pause button.

The ones that came with my M8 only have a pause\next button?

I tried my Samsung ear phones in the M8 but the volume buttons just pause the audio!

Do volume buttons not work on wired earphones on the M8?
hy, bro u don't know the full use of M8 headset button ,let me tell u more functions of it, which i also discovered accidently,
ok here it is
as u know tht 1 press play/pause
but 2 times pressing(continuously) takes u to next track/song &
3 times pressing(continuously) takes back u to previous track/song
try it & if it work notify me

Upvote 0

hy, bro u don't know about the hidden features of M8 headset,let me tell u bout it, which i also discovered accidently,
ok here it is
as u know tht 1 press play/pause
but 2 times pressing(continuously) takes u to next track/song &
3 times pressing(continuously) takes back u to previous track/song
try it & if that works notify me^-^

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones