• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Volume goes to zero

pcmacd

Lurker
Oct 19, 2017
I've a two year old J7 Star where the volume goes to zero for phone, media, everthing all by itself. This makes the phone somewhat useless for staying in touch or streaming.

I thought it was the volume switch and just had that replaced for $60+, but it still does it.

I carry the phone in my rear pants pocket - the tech said the old switch had minor rust issues.

I'm at my wit's end here.

Is it possible I have some sort of virus whacking this thing? I'm running a Malwarebytes scan now.

Just I just do a factory reset? That's kind of where I am headed.

no you do not have a virus.....why would a virus zero out your volume? a virus is almost always malicious. just because something that is unexplainable does not always mean its a virus.....and you are not the only one to jump to these conclusions. just remember someone spent time creating a virus so they usually will have some sort of purpose, usually malicious.

so i would suggest that you put the phone in safe mode and see if the issue still occurs. safe mode prevents any 3rd party apps from running. if it still occurs then we can safely say its not an app doing this and it is something in your system os causing this. and if it is still happening in safe mode then i would suggest you do a hard reset.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
no you do not have a virus.....why would a virus zero out your volume? a virus is almost always malicious. just because something that is unexplainable does not always mean its a virus.....and you are not the only one to jump to these conclusions. just remember someone spent time creating a virus so they usually will have some sort of purpose, usually malicious.

so i would suggest that you put the phone in safe mode and see if the issue still occurs. safe mode prevents any 3rd party apps from running. if it still occurs then we can safely say its not an app doing this and it is something in your system os causing this. and if it is still happening in safe mode then i would suggest you do a hard reset.

Upvote 0
ocnbrze:

A virus can do anything it is designed to do. Making a phone's volume properties go to zero seems like a real winner for me... emulate a hardware problem with a virus.

Can't you even see that it is a perfect virus? Hello?

Would you not identify zeroing out volume as malicious?

---> I sure as hell would!!! <---

Elementary. A good trick, if that's what it is.

Ran a deep Malwarebytes scan, found nothing. I just likely have some loose solder connection on my mainboard that is making this 2 year old J7 Star Samsung phone useless.

I feel that you lack sufficient imagination to be responding to posts like this.

Upvote 0
ocnbrze:

A virus can do anything it is designed to do. Making a phone's volume properties go to zero seems like a real winner for me... emulate a hardware problem with a virus.

Can't you even see that it is a perfect virus? Hello?

Would you not identify zeroing out volume as malicious?

---> I sure as hell would!!! <---

Elementary. A good trick, if that's what it is.

Ran a deep Malwarebytes scan, found nothing. I just likely have some loose solder connection on my mainboard that is making this 2 year old J7 Star Samsung phone useless.

I feel that you lack sufficient imagination to be responding to posts like this.

Because that's what viruses used to do on DOS PCs back in the '80s and '90s, playing silly tricks on the user. e.g. "This computer is now stoned. Legalize cannabis" messages, or drawing animated ambulances in the screen, etc.

AFAIK these days viruses and malware are much more about theft and extortion, like stealing your data and money, encrypting your data and holding it hostage, etc. And for doing that stealth is the key, NOT drawing attention to itself with silly tricks, except if a ransom demand is made(ransomware) AFTER it's already done the nasties with your data.

Turning the your volume down doesn't make any $$$ for the criminal perpetrators. Also for Android, the only way to get infected is by installing it yourself, like via a malicious app that's been hacked, unlike Windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
ocnbrze:
A virus can do anything it is designed to do. Making a phone's volume properties go to zero seems like a real winner for me... emulate a hardware problem with a virus. Can't you even see that it is a perfect virus? Hello? Would you not identify zeroing out volume as malicious?
---> I sure as hell would!!! <---Elementary. A good trick, if that's what it is.Ran a deep Malwarebytes scan, found nothing. I just likely have some loose solder connection on my mainboard that is making this 2 year old J7 Star Samsung phone useless.

just an fyi you use the "@" in front of my name, you will send a notification that i was being mentioned.....like this.... @pcmacd

and as @mikedt said.....most viruses these days are not pointless. people spend a lot of time coming up with virus, might as well make money on it. useless virus these days are pointless. back in the day, hackers would do it for publicity, but now they do it for the money. why would someone take the time to code for volume to go down? it does not make sense to me.

all the hacks i have heard will steal your identity, get your credit card info, and such.

and no...... zeroing out volume is not malicious

and i find your paranoia and lack of knowledge disturbing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones