• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Volume rocker doesn't put phone in silent.

On my S2, I could use the volume rocker to turn the volume right down. Then press the volume once more which would put it in Vibrate mode. Then once more and it would go to Silent.

Unfortunately this doesn't work on the S4. It only seems to go to Vibrate. And the only way to put it in Silent is to press the Power button...

Does anyone know why this is so, or how it can be fixed?

This is definitely a known issue with Jellybean but have no fear there is sort of a workaround. Hold down the volume rocker until you see the speaker icon change then in the popup volume menu hit the cog/gear wheel to go into volume settings. Manually turn down the Notifications and Media Volumes to 0. The Notifications sounds will now be turned down everytime you go all the way down with your volume rocker. Unfortunately the Media volume will go back to whatever you last set it at when playing music, watching movies, or playing games the next time you partake of those activities. Some notifications may also sound but the stock messaging app for receiving text messages and the Gmail app for email won't make a peep. I'm not sure what other apps get through this workaround as it was reported happening by a different user on these forums and I have no idea what he had installed. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This is definitely a known issue with Jellybean but have no fear there is sort of a workaround. Hold down the volume rocker until you see the speaker icon change then in the popup volume menu hit the cog/gear wheel to go into volume settings. Manually turn down the Notifications and Media Volumes to 0. The Notifications sounds will now be turned down everytime you go all the way down with your volume rocker. Unfortunately the Media volume will go back to whatever you last set it at when playing music, watching movies, or playing games the next time you partake of those activities. Some notifications may also sound but the stock messaging app for receiving text messages and the Gmail app for email won't make a peep. I'm not sure what other apps get through this workaround as it was reported happening by a different user on these forums and I have no idea what he had installed. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, although my problem is that there is no way to put it in Silent mode ONLY. Using the volume rocker puts it in Silent AND Vibrate. And then the phone vibrates on my desk every time I get a message, which is kind of annoying.

So not sure there is a workaround for that huh?

Upvote 0
Open the stock messaging app and tap on the settings button. Scroll down to Notification settings and uncheck Vibrate on notification. Now there should be no more wibbly-wobbly phone on your desk.

Bingo! Thank you so much.

I also found a way to turn off text message previews appearing on the homescreen which was annoying me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones