• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Voodoo/Rom steps - just need reassurance

culpin

Mar 6, 2010
Well, my Fascinate should arrive shortly and I only purchased it because of the strong development community there appears to be. I am coming from a D1 and was addicted to tinkering with it, but I have also noticed that I will have to re-learn a lot in order to successfully ROM/OC my Fascinate. Here is what I vision the process to look like so far:

1. Root
2. Back-Up / Wipe
3. Flash SC 2.8 w/VooDoo (Seems like the best choice atm, I'm open to suggestions though...looking for a daily driver that's also very customizable with themes etc)
4. Enable VooDoo (lag-fix)
5. Done; start the tinkering/theming.

Is this correct? Do I need to flash a stock EB01 ROM prior to installing SC? I found steps to enable VooDoo without it being built into the rom, but since it is built in I do not need to follow those steps, correct? I've done fairly extensive research & feel fairly confident I know what I'm doing now, but I just want to be clear before I start! Thanks for any help/suggestions!

-culpin

1. Root

Yes
2. Back-Up / Wipe

Backup with Titanium Backup. You can't do a nandroid from 2.1 to 2.2.

3. Flash SC 2.8 w/VooDoo (Seems like the best choice atm, I'm open to suggestions though...looking for a daily driver that's also very customizable with themes etc)

Best one so far in my opinion, any SC rom.

4. Enable VooDoo (lag-fix)

Once you flash the Voodoo kernel with the rom, it will be enabled for you.

5. Done; start the tinkering/theming.
Yes sir!

Reactions: culpin
Upvote 0
Nandroid is for you to go back to how your phone was before you installed a kernal or ROM. You can always restore an Nandroid backup--that is the point. I suggest making a nandroid to be safe as you know what you backup will work. Titanium backup backs up apps and app data. Nandroid creates an image of everything on your phone (not SD) so you can return to exactly where it was in case something goes wrong.

Upvote 0
Are you forgetting the radio step? You will need to make sure you have a compatible radio before (or immediately after?) you flash SuperClean. Unless things have changed, you will have to ODIN in a newer radio (modem.bin).

Also, I see you're running VooDoo...it seems like people have mixed feelings about Voodoo....is this something I can flash over the non-voodoo SC 2.8 rom? I read a walk-through on XDA forums which appears to instruct you to do so, but why wouldn't I just flash the SC 2.8 ROM with VooDoo already? If I'm going to mess up my phone, I feel like this will be the part that messes me up...but it seems like VooDoo is the way to go...

Upvote 0
Also, I see you're running VooDoo...it seems like people have mixed feelings about Voodoo....is this something I can flash over the non-voodoo SC 2.8 rom? I read a walk-through on XDA forums which appears to instruct you to do so, but why wouldn't I just flash the SC 2.8 ROM with VooDoo already? If I'm going to mess up my phone, I feel like this will be the part that messes me up...but it seems like VooDoo is the way to go...

there are reasons not to use voodoo...mainly if your happy with the performance of your phone...or you arent rooted :rolleyes:

but really the majority of users will attest to its benefits

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones