• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root voodoo5 kernels are here

well not here :p
but those in the know know where to go
freenode Web IRC (qwebirc) #samsung-fascinate
Greatest thing that ever happened to the SF dev world = jt
Where would we be without him? Im glad I dont have to find out

that man is a god amongst men....and women ;)

are you actually running it saps? when i jumped onto irc this morning it looked like a war zone of people stuck and unable to boot into cwr and saying to stay away? :eek:

for once i may hold off and see what develops...later today at least :)

Upvote 0
Be mindful apparently cwm is still non functioning after flashing a few peeps tried the old disable_lagfix and got problems :(
supercurio did stop in and Im sure jt will resolve any issues today
kinds sucks for those guys who adopted earlier though since jt dropped it and then went to sleep
I feel worse because a few guys were sitting on the fence and they asked me what I was going to do and I said jump but then I DL'd it and made some late night food and came back to install and problems were everywhere so I didnt
On top of that geeknik then sends me the best stupidfast kernel ever so Im still waiting myself.

Reactions: davidnmegan6907
Upvote 0
are you actually running it saps? when i jumped onto irc this morning it looked like a war zone of people stuck and unable to boot into cwr and saying to stay away? :eek:

for once i may hold off and see what develops...later today at least :)
No not yet :(. I feel bad too because humbly speaking based on reputation when I said I was going to like 3 guys sitting on the fence did too. Only I hit DL and then walked away to make some noodles and stuff ending up watching sportscenter for a bit and then came back to the mess. supercurio seems to think its a quick fix in clockwork and thus I imagine by tomorrow things should be rosy again

Upvote 0
No not yet :(. I feel bad too because humbly speaking based on reputation when I said I was going to like 3 guys sitting on the fence did too. Only I hit DL and then walked away to make some noodles and stuff ending up watching sportscenter for a bit and then came back to the mess. supercurio seems to think its a quick fix in clockwork and thus I imagine by tomorrow things should be rosy again

yeah im sure its only a few lines of code jt has to fix, but my concern is for the people who cant mount on the computer or get into recovery...but im sure people smarter than me will figure it out :)

for once glad i didnt jump the gun :eek:

Upvote 0
yeah im sure its only a few lines of code jt has to fix, but my concern is for the people who cant mount on the computer or get into recovery...but im sure people smarter than me will figure it out :)

for once glad i didnt jump the gun :eek:

Me too sometimes I'm like this sucks most of the stuff happens when I'm asleep because I live on east coast...but this time it looks to have paid off. I hate it for the ones that did jump right in though

Upvote 0
I don't think nit will let me touch it...ever! lol I need to learn to flash a rom first:D. I think I'm stuck with stock rom.....I can flash kernells all day...they reboot quick...roms make me pull the battery in a scared frenzy! I wish I had patience...

yeah voodoo (well in its current forms) is the source of most borks with this phone.

id get the hang of flashing kernels, themes, roms completely down before considering it :)

Upvote 0
So what's the scoop on this hawtness? Can I flash over my old Voodoo? Can one now flash ROMs and non-Voodoo kernels without disabling?

apparently with what is out you need to manually flash something to get cwr to work right. so until its fixed to do that automatically id stay away as its pretty complicated...im not gonna attempt it yet

Upvote 0
This is all DJ05, I assume? Is BLN working on it yet?

Nice to know a revert modem is out... I think I'll be flashing when I get home.

bln works with voodoo 5, or at least it does for me. im sure you can run it with DJ05 but its a modified DJ05 kernel so all wont be well

how are voodoo kernals different from non-voodoo kernals and what are the risks and benefits of voodoo kernals?

voodoo kernels change your file system from rfs (crappy) to ext4. the latest voodoo 5 is supposed to be a leap forward as jts most recent rfs kernels had caught up to old vooodoo imo.

our systems have terrible write speeds with rfs (apparently read is ok though) and this compensates for that.

my advice before going for voodoo, read up all you can on it...have the android sdk installed, and be prepared for a bork.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones