1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

voodoo5 kernels are here

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saps, Nov 22, 2010.

1. saps

saps Extreme Android User

Yeah I did completely remove voodoo and all its goodies like red cwm twice now already and then put it back on twice, or technically three times on.

I/we are probably over testing this stuff. Part of me thinks we should probably just uninstall quadrant and all benchmarking program and not run these tests and just use the phone for our daily life. Even my real world tests arent really real for me since I never actually change my dock shortcuts. And I go into manage applications very very rarely. Might as well just run the stock kernel then huh? But then the other part of me, the dominant part says no, its my phone and I want it performing to the max.

Advertisement

2. saps

See thats what Im talking about, sometimes it fast and sometimes it slow but the overall average seems to be slower.
    Piiman try the dock shortcut applications thing too

3. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

i just rebooted....long press and select widget on 12/1 voodoo, about 1 second

ill wipe data/cache tomorrow and test it out...

quitting time for me and then a bunch of stuff around the house tonight :eek:

4. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Android Expert

Ok so I went to do the update to v5 12/1 and did everything and rebooted the phone..when going from voodoo to voodoo should it not do all the crazy stuff and the womans voice or is that only the first time of install? or did i do someting wrong?

5. saps

robot voice is first time only, its the conversion from rfs to ext4. When the kernel itself flashes yes you still get that jumbled blue text which flashes on screen during the process

6. davidnmegan6907

Great to know!! I got that blue words all crazy but when it rebooted and I didnt hear the voice I said damn I screwed it up..but I guess it got it :D

dumb question though..suppose I didnt wait for you to answer and would have went back through cwm and tried to install the same thing again and it was already on there would it have done anything?

7. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

Of course it hasn't cached it that the point of testing it that way, its a truer reading of how fast the fs or accessing the fs is. Once its cached its in memory so the FS wouldn't have any effect on how fast it reads the FS.

Have you actually timed one?

8. saps

Yes, if you flash a voodoo kernel or any same kernel on top of itself nothing bad happens. But yeah flashing the same kernel on top of itself does not do anything per se, it will flash on. Its like taking off your shirt and putting it right back on basically

davidnmegan6907 likes this.
  9. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

SAPS, it takes me 8 seconds to display the app list for a dock short cut. I would think the number of apps would make a difference though. How many do you have? I have 150

10. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga

same here took a second or less for me

11. saps

Yeah I have a ton too but again sometimes its instant and sometimes it takes a long long time. I got a lot of apps too, not sure how many exactly but my phone storage is like 500mb+ according to task manager

12. saps

try the dock shortcut thing now

13. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

I stay away form benchmark programs they do not show real world performance. Heck all you have to do is change one small thing and Quadrant tells you your phone is now twice as fast...yeah sure.:thinking:.
    I'm a pessimist at heart and I look very closely at claims of improvements and because of that I'm not prone to the the placebo effect I feel many have or get when something new comes out. I can' count the times I've ask people to actually time something and they never get back to me, wonder why:rolleyes: or they just say will it feels faster.:(

If something is really faster you can measure it with a stop watch people.

While I'm sure Voodoo does some things slower ,in real world its not that bad. Like you said how many times do I put a new app on the Dock or select and activity from a long press? While we probably do it more than most its still not that often and I'm personally not so impatient that I can't wait 5 seconds for something to happen. Now those 40+ second delays ...they really suck and should never happen ! :eek: But they still do even with V5

14. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga

same about a second

edit I probably have 30 to 40 apps

15. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

Its only instant if its been cached (ie read at least once and hasn't changed) It also would have to read 500mb just the file names:D so the longer the list the longer the time it would take.

16. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Member

i love voodoo 5. when i used non voodoo kernels i noticed it took a little while to open and close dolphin browser and google voice but with voodoo 5 i don't experience and lag whatsoever.
    but it seems my battery life has suffered since 11/29.
    im currently running 12/1.
    luckily, i carry two batteries with me all the time.

off topic, is anyone using ADW freak beta? could that be sucking my battery?

17. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

First run? You can't test a cached read. A cached read wouldn't even access the FS

18. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga

after a reboot or after several tries its the same for me. I do have a lot less apps than you guys. 30 to 40 at most

19. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

Like I said I will wipe data and cache either tomorrow or Friday and test voodoo and non side hy side......all I can say in my real world tests is that my games all hiccuped ALOT with nonnvoodoo (admittedly I haven't used 11/29 yet) and I have not seen that all yet on any voodoo 5 kernel.

Nonvooodoo took several seconds as well off a reboot to load apps from the launcher and voodoo doesn't.....hats all I can compare it to ATM.....

Yes I have very apps installed these days as well

20. dan409

dan409 Well-Known Member

I'm running stockdeodexedDJ05, stupidfast1.54, no themes, and using ADW.

The longest it ever takes me to go from long press-lauch apps. is .05 secs.
    95% of the time it is instant. I am running 60 apps.

When I was running voodoo it was more like 50% of the time long-press, apps would lauch instantly. 11/29 ver

I am staying with the non-voodoo's for now. I never really noticed any diff between voodoo and non-voodoo kernels.(other than monster quad scores.) The old voodoo's were such a pia that it will take alot to get me back to them.

I want to make it 100% clear that I am in no way knocking anyone's hard work, but this is just how my experience has played out with the two. I definitely feel privileged that I am able to be a part of any of this and don't take any of it for granted. It is much appreciated !

PS nitsuj17. ADW now has an app for import export other browser bookmarks ! It's called Bookmarks to sd. But you prob already knew that. :)

21. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

yeah its never knocking any devs hard work to say somethign works better for you at all....ya gotta run what works best for your phone

22. zaphodbebleebrox

zaphodbebleebrox Well-Known Member

if i long press on the screeen , widgets and stuff comes up instantly, there is no lag or seconds there, its instant.

23. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

yeah i think at this point piiman means from an uncached system...like wipe cache, reboot and then try....ill get to that *eventually*

24. davidnmegan6907

Just went to cwr wiped cache reboot and Im still getting instant on long press, Im running adw maybe making a difference? Im not going to say that there is never any lag at all but the only place I have seen it is leaving the txt message thats the only place crazy huh? Before going to v5 I had major lag with dolphin browser, still loved it when it pulled up, but major lag there. Once I loaded v5 it is now instant...but thats enough of my opinion ;)

25. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga

I can see the point of doing exercise this on an uncached system but at the same time what does that have to do with real world usage. Seems to go down the same road as quadrant scores. If I have to jump through hoops to get bad results on a test then thats a good thing imo.