• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root voodoo5 kernels are here

I can see the point of doing exercise this on an uncached system but at the same time what does that have to do with real world usage. Seems to go down the same road as quadrant scores. If I have to jump through hoops to get bad results on a test then thats a good thing imo.

Im right there with you..it isnt like we get up every morning and say hey let me go clean cache before I start my day. I just wanted to try it out to be in the cool crowd haha ;)

Upvote 0
I can see the point of doing exercise this on an uncached system but at the same time what does that have to do with real world usage. Seems to go down the same road as quadrant scores. If I have to jump through hoops to get bad results on a test then thats a good thing imo.

Im right there with you..it isnt like we get up every morning and say hey let me go clean cache before I start my day. I just wanted to try it out to be in the cool crowd haha ;)

im with you guys on the real world usage thing...i bring that up all the time in quadrant threads and stuff....i just want to see if i get these insanely bad load times like others are saying...i dont recall it being like that...

but then again i no longer keep 100 apps on my phone...i freeze what i dont need or just dont reinstall them until i need them

Upvote 0
i just rebooted....long press and select widget on 12/1 voodoo, about 1 second

ill wipe data/cache tomorrow and test it out...

quitting time for me and then a bunch of stuff around the house tonight :eek:

Wierd

I just installed that new Go launcher and selecting widgets takes a whopping 20-25 seconds for the list :( but the dock bar has a pre-cached list that opens instantly but unsorted :mad: its a nice launcher but needs some work. I hate unsorted app draws (touch wiz) and unsorted list, it makes it even harder than normal to find things :mad: It can also be a little slow with presenting list.

Load it up and see how long it takes for widget to list.

Upvote 0

It simply shows that voodoo isn't really speeding up the system. Isn't it basically a FS change? there is no since in testing a cached read as Voodoo has nothing to do with it, its in memory. in real world I see no difference unless it's a first read and then its slower.

Now disable Voodoo and see what your times are. Mine were always better.

Upvote 0

Your cache can get trashed many times a day and have to be re read depending on what you are doing. You don't have to get up and do it:rolleyes:
But that s not really the point of the test.

Upvote 0
Your cache can get trashed many times a day and have to be re read depending on what you are doing. You don't have to get up and do it:rolleyes:
But that s not really the point of the test.

I understand that but it isnt totally wiped but I think its pretty must just personal choice, I think so far I like v5 better than non but Im sure there are plenty of people that have opposite opinion. As long as we can be happy kernel swappers its all good :D

Upvote 0
It simply shows that voodoo isn't really speeding up the system. Isn't it basically a FS change? there is no since in testing a cached read as Voodoo has nothing to do with it, its in memory. in real world I see no difference unless it's a first read and then its slower.

rfs is awful with write speed, not read speed...voodoo supposedly corrects the awful lagginess of write

Upvote 0

I acutally switched to nonvoodoo today to test out geeknik's new kernel. So I will let you know I havent had time to mess with my phone since I disabled voodoo this morning.

Upvote 0
I understand that but it isnt totally wiped but I think its pretty must just personal choice, I think so far I like v5 better than non but Im sure there are plenty of people that have opposite opinion. As long as we can be happy kernel swappers its all good :D

Yeah don't get me wrong I actually have it installed and I'm all for trying out new things but I'm simply questioning its real world benefits.

Can I ask you what it is you like better about it compared to non v5?

Upvote 0
rfs is awful with write speed, not read speed...voodoo supposedly corrects the awful lagginess of write

I would guess you read 100x more often that you write if not more. I'm curious as to what you write to your phone that you've seen "awful lagginess" and how often you do it?

I know when I install an app my phone can seem to lockup for a few seconds but the CPU is also maxing out so I'm not sure if its the FS or the CPU that's the cause.

Upvote 0
yea, we could freak over the fact we dont have the official release of DJ05 which will come before we get Froyo. some time next year , probably not even Jan, most likely Feb or even March IMO. I think Verizon is holding back to sell their new christmas stuff before we get the updates. after the shopping season is over, BAM ! we will start to get the updates.

Upvote 0
I would guess you read 100x more often that you write if not more. I'm curious as to what you write to your phone that you've seen "awful lagginess" and how often you do it?

I know when I install an app my phone can seem to lockup for a few seconds but the CPU is also maxing out so I'm not sure if its the FS or the CPU that's the cause.

like ive said...i havent compared newer nonvoodoo kernels...but the ones in the jts earlier roms constantly lagged during games and long presses...i dont know what else to explain the difference from when i jumped to voodoo its no longer there

Upvote 0

Market installs, RSS readers, ANYTHING that writes to dalvik-cache, or tmp directories. Emails, web browsing. Apps that use databases (quite a few). I can go on and on.

Will you read more often? Sure. Do you think I want to wait around while slow ass writes happen, when they do happen?

NOT A CHANCE.

Upvote 0
Yeah don't get me wrong I actually have it installed and I'm all for trying out new things but I'm simply questioning its real world benefits.

Can I ask you what it is you like better about it compared to non v5?

My apps are opening faster like I said earlier dolphin browser had a bad lag now it opens right away even after reboot. It just seems that adw seems to run smoother with v5 also..I was about to jump to the lp+ bandwagon but now Im happy with it, not sure really if it was the updates or v5 or a lil of both but all I know is it runs smoother now.

Upvote 0
Ok so after I have done the test by wiping cache to see how quick that things will load my gps has pooped out on me. I went from 2-3 meters before to now best its doing is 3100 meters. Thats the only thing I can think Ive done:(

check in settings under

locations and security
make sure stand alone gps services is checked and not just vzw and google location services.

Upvote 0
everytime ive wiped data and cache gps has come back fine...wonder whats a going on for ya?

Still nothing on GPS Ive tried reboot, battery pull, walking outside, talking sweet to it..haha nothings working :(

I dunno what esle to do other than maybe tomorrow go into IRC and get .7 and see if that works maybe .5 just decided it didnt like me anymore

Upvote 0
is this how i'm supposed to remove voodoo5 kernel? I'm currently running on super clean 0.5, dj05 modem, and voodoo5. and can anyone explain why super clean 0.6&0.7rom's bluetooth function not working?

1. Place voodoouninstaller in sdcard and turn off the phone.
2. hold volume up and down at the same time, and press power button.
3. load update.zip to get to Clockworkmod, and apply voodoo_uninstall_1_4
4. go to advanced menu and choose reboot recovery
5. Wipe data from stock recovery. Apply CWM. Wipe data from clockwork.
6. Reboot.

can anyone recommend easier method of uninstalling voodoo5?

Upvote 0
Market installs, RSS readers, ANYTHING that writes to dalvik-cache, or tmp directories. Emails, web browsing. Apps that use databases (quite a few). I can go on and on.

Will you read more often? Sure. Do you think I want to wait around while slow ass writes happen, when they do happen?

NOT A CHANCE.

Yeah after I thought about 5 more seconds I was like" its a little pc so I bet there are all kinds of writes going on behind the scenes" :eek: you got me!

I really hope you guys don't think I'm criticizing I'm really just "Brain Storming" thinking out loud you could say (maybe I shouldn't:cool:).

Maybe I'm way off base I don't know I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd love to know what voodoo does and how it goes about it.

Upvote 0
My apps are opening faster like I said earlier dolphin browser had a bad lag now it opens right away even after reboot. It just seems that adw seems to run smoother with v5 also..I was about to jump to the lp+ bandwagon but now Im happy with it, not sure really if it was the updates or v5 or a lil of both but all I know is it runs smoother now.

hmm I'm with saps, this thing, seems all over the board. Man I wish it did that for my phone. As it is mine had a major crash last night and is super slow and laggy today. My CPU is maxing out so much and so ofter that nothing happens for seconds even pulling down the notification window is chop city. The same widget list that took 5 second yester is 25 today ekkk. I'm not blaming voodoo probably just to much f ing around with the phone. But I did just un install voodoo and it is back to normal on 1129 non voodoo. Its actually looking pretty snappy after today :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones