• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root voodoo5 kernels are here

<--cant find anything in irc haha:(

ya gotta ask :)

WHy didn't my post show up?

1) I am rooted and running DJ01 with the GPS fix. Can I apply the Voodoo5 kernel?

2) Can I restore to a previous state (nandroid) if something goes wrong AFTER I apply voodoo5?

1. no one has tried afaik but it *probably* would work, but really theres no reason NOT to be running DJ05 right now...its less of a headache than voodoo is in the long run
2. voodoo5 allows for backups in cwr...however jt has yet to fix restoring backups yet...so to restore you have to disable_lagfix then restore...but i havent actually tried that yet

really for voodoo 5 some folks may want to wait until all the kinks are ironed out...i mean i actually *waited* and didnt jump on the first one available...well i waited for cwr to not be a separate flash anyway, which is a long wait by my standards :)

Upvote 0
ya gotta ask :)

1. no one has tried afaik but it *probably* would work, but really theres no reason NOT to be running DJ05 right now...its less of a headache than voodoo is in the long run
2. voodoo5 allows for backups in cwr...however jt has yet to fix restoring backups yet...so to restore you have to disable_lagfix then restore...but i havent actually tried that yet

really for voodoo 5 some folks may want to wait until all the kinks are ironed out...i mean i actually *waited* and didnt jump on the first one available...well i waited for cwr to not be a separate flash anyway, which is a long wait by my standards :)
Um, yeah, lets not pop the champagne there my friend, from when you woke up and learn of voodoo5's release till adrynalyne put his kernel out was like 6 hours :rolleyes:;):p
I still havent flashed it and I was right there when it dropped live, I DL'd that baby two seconds after jt posted it, however, I didnt flash it and still havent; now thats unexplainable :D
Actually at first it was because geeknik was sending me all these lovely OC kernels to play with. Now thats done :( Im just kinda bleh on the whole thing for a minute. Plus, like you I could not deal with the no easy cw issue.

Let me ask you though so everyone else can see. We have both noted that the last generation of DI01 kernels were very good performers, the DJ05 always seemed to lag for whatever reason. How would you compare the real world performance of voodoo5 to the best DI01 non-voodoo we had? Slight or significant difference?

Upvote 0
Um, yeah, lets not pop the champagne there my friend, from when you woke up and learn of voodoo5's release till adrynalyne put his kernel out was like 6 hours :rolleyes:;):p
I still havent flashed it and I was right there when it dropped live, I DL'd that baby two seconds after jt posted it, however, I didnt flash it and still havent; now thats unexplainable :D
Actually at first it was because geeknik was sending me all these lovely OC kernels to play with. Now thats done :( Im just kinda bleh on the whole thing for a minute. Plus, like you I could not deal with the no easy cw issue.

Let me ask you though so everyone else can see. We have both noted that the last generation of DI01 kernels were very good performers, the DJ05 always seemed to lag for whatever reason. How would you compare the real world performance of voodoo5 to the best DI01 non-voodoo we had? Slight or significant difference?

first of all saps, 6 hours of restraint for me is like a lifetime for most...i cant even begin to think of NOT having flashed like you :eek::eek::eek::eek:

having spent about a day with voodoo5 i have noticed no lag...at all....now granted i havent made a very concerted attempt to do so, but angry birds, browsing, texts, long-presses etc....have been good (granted i also turn off animations in spare parts)

id say voodoo5 is *at least* on par with the last generation of jt kernels for DI01 nonvoodooo. i never ran any of his november voodoos.

im liking what i see so far though, and being the voodoo fan i am in general once adb in recovery and backup restore is fully functional...i can t think of a reason that one would not be on it.

now im sure it ll get cleaned up even more by jt going forward, and im not ready to declare it the all-time winner, but im pleased with what ive seen so far :)

also with voodoo5 stock recovery is byebye from what i can tell :)

Upvote 0

when you say DJ05 has lag are you saying its not as good as DI01? :thinking:

I know I probably sound like a kid in elementry school with the questions..but I love to do these mods I just dont know where to go with them somtimes. Thats why I appriciate that you guys take your time and put up with my shit to try to help me out

Upvote 0
when you say DJ05 has lag are you saying its not as good as DI01? :thinking:

I know I probably sound like a kid in elementry school with the questions..but I love to do these mods I just dont know where to go with them somtimes. Thats why I appriciate that you guys take your time and put up with my shit to try to help me out

imo atm the non voodoo kernels for DJ05 are a few steps behind DI01 but its not like they will be for long im sure :)

Upvote 0
first of all saps, 6 hours of restraint for me is like a lifetime for most...i cant even begin to think of NOT having flashed like you :eek::eek::eek::eek:

having spent about a day with voodoo5 i have noticed no lag...at all....now granted i havent made a very concerted attempt to do so, but angry birds, browsing, texts, long-presses etc....have been good (granted i also turn off animations in spare parts)
:)

also with voodoo5 stock recovery is byebye from what i can tell :)

Could someone define exactly what this "lag" is? I was under the impression its the time it takes for a list to be presented after you've selected something like widgets or short cuts after long pressing the desktop.

If this is it then there is differently still lag and plenty of it.

If it isn't then what the heck is this "Lag"?

Upvote 0
Could someone define exactly what this "lag" is? I was under the impression its the time it takes for a list to be presented after you've selected something like widgets or short cuts after long pressing the desktop.

If this is it then there is differently still lag and plenty of it.

If it isn't then what the heck is this "Lag"?

For me lag is when playing games or using apparently the system hiccups at some point or in long presses when it hangs for several seconds

Upvote 0
I'm afraid to disable it. That's when i have trouble with voodoo. have you done it yet?

I disabled it this morning in order to flash Clean .6 and switch to the 11/23 voodoo. Things went crazy and I got FC hell but I was able to delete disable_lagfix via adb, luckily I had debugging enabled. Then just boot back into recovery and flash the rom and newer voodoo now everything is fine.

Upvote 0
I think all is quiet of the western front now, however last night after the lv version came out jt briefly had an sv out as well, this was quickly pulled however, since jt admitted he made some mistake. Sucked to be those people though.
Again, most realize this is as always YMMV stuff and early adopters often pay this price. I know most people are running issue free but there remains a noticeable minority who dont.
So fair warning to those reading about voodoo for the first time, be careful, read up, and now what to do when something goes wrong. jt is a wonderful man who really is a godsend to the SF. However, this is not a bash but a statistic, but this is the third time there was been an omission on a voodoo release. An omission which I have no doubt was unintentional and non-malicious but nevertheless caused some degree of suffering and problems for some. So again please please take care, when sailing your ships into uncharted territory. There is only so much help any of us can be to you via posts and PM's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones