1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

voodoo5 kernels are here

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saps, Nov 22, 2010.

1. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

yeah i mean if you go into irc and ask for the DJ05 guide im sure someone remember the link for it...personally i didnt save it

Advertisement

2. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Member

3. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Android Expert

<--cant find anything in irc haha:(

4. Bearly

Bearly Android Expert

WHy didn't my post show up?

1) I am rooted and running DJ01 with the GPS fix. Can I apply the Voodoo5 kernel?

2) Can I restore to a previous state (nandroid) if something goes wrong AFTER I apply voodoo5?

5. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

ya gotta ask :)

1. no one has tried afaik but it *probably* would work, but really theres no reason NOT to be running DJ05 right now...its less of a headache than voodoo is in the long run
    2. voodoo5 allows for backups in cwr...however jt has yet to fix restoring backups yet...so to restore you have to disable_lagfix then restore...but i havent actually tried that yet

really for voodoo 5 some folks may want to wait until all the kinks are ironed out...i mean i actually *waited* and didnt jump on the first one available...well i waited for cwr to not be a separate flash anyway, which is a long wait by my standards :)

6. saps

saps Extreme Android User

Um, yeah, lets not pop the champagne there my friend, from when you woke up and learn of voodoo5's release till adrynalyne put his kernel out was like 6 hours :rolleyes:;):p
    I still havent flashed it and I was right there when it dropped live, I DL'd that baby two seconds after jt posted it, however, I didnt flash it and still havent; now thats unexplainable :D
    Actually at first it was because geeknik was sending me all these lovely OC kernels to play with. Now thats done :( Im just kinda bleh on the whole thing for a minute. Plus, like you I could not deal with the no easy cw issue.

Let me ask you though so everyone else can see. We have both noted that the last generation of DI01 kernels were very good performers, the DJ05 always seemed to lag for whatever reason. How would you compare the real world performance of voodoo5 to the best DI01 non-voodoo we had? Slight or significant difference?

7. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

first of all saps, 6 hours of restraint for me is like a lifetime for most...i cant even begin to think of NOT having flashed like you :eek::eek::eek::eek:

having spent about a day with voodoo5 i have noticed no lag...at all....now granted i havent made a very concerted attempt to do so, but angry birds, browsing, texts, long-presses etc....have been good (granted i also turn off animations in spare parts)

id say voodoo5 is *at least* on par with the last generation of jt kernels for DI01 nonvoodooo. i never ran any of his november voodoos.

im liking what i see so far though, and being the voodoo fan i am in general once adb in recovery and backup restore is fully functional...i can t think of a reason that one would not be on it.

now im sure it ll get cleaned up even more by jt going forward, and im not ready to declare it the all-time winner, but im pleased with what ive seen so far :)

also with voodoo5 stock recovery is byebye from what i can tell :)

8. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Android Expert

when you say DJ05 has lag are you saying its not as good as DI01? :thinking:

I know I probably sound like a kid in elementry school with the questions..but I love to do these mods I just dont know where to go with them somtimes. Thats why I appriciate that you guys take your time and put up with my shit to try to help me out

9. Bob-o

Bob-o Android Enthusiast

Yea but when they see me message them....they say ahhh shit, bob is bricked again! lol

10. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

imo atm the non voodoo kernels for DJ05 are a few steps behind DI01 but its not like they will be for long im sure :)

11. PaulE

PaulE Newbie

Edit to pull link out..sorry Nit!

Enjoy :)

12. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

Could someone define exactly what this "lag" is? I was under the impression its the time it takes for a list to be presented after you've selected something like widgets or short cuts after long pressing the desktop.

If this is it then there is differently still lag and plenty of it.

If it isn't then what the heck is this "Lag"?

13. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

LOL at least they know you!

14. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

For me lag is when playing games or using apparently the system hiccups at some point or in long presses when it hangs for several seconds

15. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

edit: gtg :)

16. MJMcMahon

MJMcMahon Well-Known Member

Anxiously awaiting the 'it's ready!' message...I'm running JT's 0.2 Voodoo kernel and am interested in taking the next step. I recognize that I'm still n00bish when it comes to this stuff, though, so I'll wait for the more experienced folks to work the bugs out before I jump. :)

17. grin0048

grin0048 Well-Known Member

Links been edited out from the original...now you need to take it out of your quote ;)

18. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga

Done

nitsuj17 and davidnmegan6907 like this.
  19. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Member

has anyone flashed the new voodoo kernel 11/23?

20. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

21. s44

s44 Android Enthusiast

Yes. No issues so far.

As for speed, it's incredibly fast, but so were all the previous Voodoo kernels...

22. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

yeah i flashed 11/23 looks good so far in my hour with it.

have yet to flash jts 0.6 rom as i didnt want to deal with disabling voodoo this morning :)

23. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

I'm afraid to disable it. That's when i have trouble with voodoo. have you done it yet?

24. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga

I disabled it this morning in order to flash Clean .6 and switch to the 11/23 voodoo. Things went crazy and I got FC hell but I was able to delete disable_lagfix via adb, luckily I had debugging enabled. Then just boot back into recovery and flash the rom and newer voodoo now everything is fine.

25. saps

saps Extreme Android User

I think all is quiet of the western front now, however last night after the lv version came out jt briefly had an sv out as well, this was quickly pulled however, since jt admitted he made some mistake. Sucked to be those people though.
    Again, most realize this is as always YMMV stuff and early adopters often pay this price. I know most people are running issue free but there remains a noticeable minority who dont.
    So fair warning to those reading about voodoo for the first time, be careful, read up, and now what to do when something goes wrong. jt is a wonderful man who really is a godsend to the SF. However, this is not a bash but a statistic, but this is the third time there was been an omission on a voodoo release. An omission which I have no doubt was unintentional and non-malicious but nevertheless caused some degree of suffering and problems for some. So again please please take care, when sailing your ships into uncharted territory. There is only so much help any of us can be to you via posts and PM's.